cutting ramp in slotted headstock

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Tim R

cutting ramp in slotted headstock

Post by Tim R »

All,

I have a neck with a pre-slotted headstock, but the ramp, or angle, at the front and bottom end of the slots has not been cut. What is the right tool for this? I suppose I could start with a rat tail file and then finish using a dowel with sandpaper on one side, but I don't want to use the wrong tool and risk ruining a good neck. Suggestions...

Thanks,
Tim
chimpotle

Re: cutting ramp in slotted headstock

Post by chimpotle »

Rat tail file is what i used, and i got that advice right here. No complaints from me!
- Chuck
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

that is what I use
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

good enough for me then! Thanks.
darren

Post by darren »

I clear out the bulk with a 1/4" chisel and then work the profile with a section of 1/2" steel (actually a broken long 1/2" drill bit) with progressively finer sand paper wrapped around it. Just sanding takes too long, and I've never been able to find a 1/2" round file locally...this is pretty quick. I saw someone else putting a screwdriver through the tuner hole to set the angle and it works great. I tried tape to protect the wall of the slot -but it only lasts a short time before your file or sandpaper bites through it.

Darren

Post by   »

A right sized carving gouge might save a lot of sanding.

-tommy
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

How do you guys determine what angle to use?.......or is there a commonly used standard?
Slacker......
darren

Post by darren »

Darryl Young wrote:How do you guys determine what angle to use?.......or is there a commonly used standard?
Any standard would depend on your headstock angle and nut placement.

Use the screwdriver in the tuner hole and place a straight edge on that and your nut height (remember your nut slots will be a skosh lower)... there you've got your angle. No reason to make it more complicated.

However... don't just check for clearance straight to the nut... the E/D/G/e string clearance is what you need to be more concerned with.
Darren