Neck/bridge/fretboard copier

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
deadedith

Neck/bridge/fretboard copier

Post by deadedith »

There were good reasons for not building this - but I had a burr under my saddle and could get no rest till I built it. So I did.

My only expenses were for the roller bearings - a dozen of them - and a good router with a 4" barrel. I bought the Hitachi M12vc for around $100 - 2 1/4 hp, very quiet (best in class quiet) and a real workhorse. If you already have a router with 4" or under barrel, you are good to go.

I will calibrate it when the carving burr I ordered arrives - supposedly tomorrow - a 3/4" x 1 1/2" round nosed coarse burr, which also comes with a follower exactly the same shape as the burr but .01" larger, so that the copy has some sandable surface.

I plan on using it mainly for making necks, pre-shaping braces and a dozen other things I can think of.
Not for everyone, but it fits my philosophy just fine.
I will post further pics. :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Neck/bridge/fretboard copier

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Wow Dave you are getting really high tech on us! That is awesome!
So you just move the deal by hand over the part and it follows it and carves away at your blank. That is very cool.
Do you have plans?

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Kevin - the burr and stylus I ordered did not get here on time, but should be here tomorrow. I've calibrated the thing, so should be able to do my first project - a bridge - tomorrow or Tuesday.

I'll p.m. you re: plans

Post by   »

David,
Kudos to you and all the engineering types out there who are able to whip up such cool toys.

-tommy
Kevin Waldron

Post by Kevin Waldron »

Carving duplicator looks great.

I think you will find that you will want smaller tools ..... what you have coming for the router is going to probably be an overload. You will need for detail 1/8" to 3/16" ball nose and follower to match for most guitar things....... using 1/2" or 3/8" for hogging is fine but for any kind of detail the smaller bits are necessary. The easier way to adjust following is simply lower the follower slightly more than the bit and you will have extra material ( raising takes away material ). Always use the same spot as a touch off for adjusting the router and the follower.

A bridge can be a tough first project, you can contour the outside with 3/4" initially but you will then need detail bits, 1/16" or smaller for the saddle slot, 3mm or close for bridge pins and a reamer for the top of the bridge pin holes. ( with cnc it takes 5 bits to get a finished bridge )

May you be blessed in your efforts.

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Thanks Kevin, good advice, and a blessing is ALWAYS welcomed!
telecaster77

Post by telecaster77 »

Wow that's was a certainly a great idea.! I wish I could have tools and equipment like yours
to also to be able create my own creation.
Henry Meadows

Post by Henry Meadows »

Dave,

Great job on the copier. I saw a similiar design, as well as other shop tools, at woodgears.ca. Even a wooden band-saw. I am interested in building or buying a copier for my router too.

Henry