Fretting files

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
kjwilks

Fretting files

Post by kjwilks »

Hey what kind of files or other tools do you all use for fretting guitars?

I know there are different ways of doing this, and StewMac has several different fretting files. I am wondering if there really is much advantage to using their specialty files or if it is normal to just use regular files. I was thinking about getting the three corner files because they have the smooth edges, and maybe just trying to make a beveling file block. My dad has a drawer full of files and i figured I could cut an angle into the corner of a 2x4 and clamp a regular file in that.

I am trying to balance quality craftsmanship with a short budget.

your opinions?
Kevin

"Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free."
-Mumford & Sons
darren

Re: Fretting files

Post by darren »

that'll work fine.

I ground the edge off of a standard 3 corner file and used that to do my fret ends too. I finally got a 'real' fret file from SM to do my re-crowning, but did three fretboards with the modified 3-corner file.
Darren
kjwilks

Re: Fretting files

Post by kjwilks »

So, here's what I'm thinking:

I have (and by that I mean "My dad has") a drawer with several different files.
My dad has a benchtop grinder
If I were to talk my dad into grinding the edges of a three corner file, that would work fine for fret ends.
I could just take a 2x4 and cut an angled groove down one corner, insert a file and stick some screws in the side to hold it in place for bevels. (I'm not sure if I trust myself to get a good and consistent angle)
And I could probably use the same file taken out of the bevel block to do the levelling.

Am I on the right track here? Can I still get away without the crowning files and have a good fret job or is that worth the money?
Also for levelling, should i modify the ends of the file? (curve them so they don't gouge high frets, remove the tang, etc.)
Kevin

"Love, it will not betray you, dismay or enslave you. It will set you free."
-Mumford & Sons