SHOP FOX DRILL PRESS M1039 quality report BLAHHHHH!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
tippie53

SHOP FOX DRILL PRESS M1039 quality report BLAHHHHH!

Post by tippie53 »

I recently purchased 2 shop fox tools , one was the 19 inch band saw
I will report that it worked right out of the box.
the 2nd tools was the Drill press.
I hate to report that the drill press came with a defective motor. When I called the customer service center they were polite and seemed concerned for my problem. The motor took a week to arrive . once I started to take the motor off the press I found 2 more issues . There is an adjuster for the motor to tension the belt ( didn't work ) Light fixture for lighting the work area was loose.
Upon all this I called and told them this was unacceptable . They want me to repack the drill press and send it back. I told them to come and get it. I will repack it if they pay my labor as I was now over a week without a drill press. This is not a sign of quality.
After some discussion , they are picking it up but will not send a replacement until receipt of the returned press. I called Oak Tree and where I purchased the tools. Deb was very supportive and purchased the new drill press and will receive credit when the old one is returned.
Oak tree I will buy from again but I can not recommend Shop Fox or Grizzly Tools anymore. I have had too many issues with their tools. It is a shame but this it MADE IN CHINA folks. Quality is a thing of the past. You know my experience and I hope others fare better than I.
I am off my soap box now
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
tippie53

Re: SHOP FOX DRILL PRESS M1039 quality report BLAHHHHH!

Post by tippie53 »

Yeah made in America is hard to find
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

That is the sad truth.
segovia

Post by segovia »

Hi

I have a Fox drill press and was very disappointed with the overall build quality, it does not get used that much else I would be inclined to swap it. However as most stuff is made in China these days good quality is hard to find. I had the same experience with a Metabo band-saw which gave me endless trouble. Metabo came and picked it up and fortunately for me their courier dropped it and smashed it so they gave me the option of a refund or a refund. Needless to say I took the refund and bought a record power band-saw which is made in China but assembled in the UK which a Rolls Royce compared to the Metabo .

J
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I have the shop fox drill press - works okay, but just okay. Using it as an arbor to press in frets is kind of iffy, but no disasters thus far.
Overall I'm disappointed with it, and feel like I have to baby it.
tippie53

Re: SHOP FOX DRILL PRESS M1039 quality report BLAHHHH! UPD

Post by tippie53 »

I now have the new replacement. This one is working. The drill is smooth and has good power. The customer service was ok , and Andrew did follow up with a personal phone call. That at least was surprising.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc