Time to build a GoBar deck

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
hummingbird

Time to build a GoBar deck

Post by hummingbird »

Yup, its that time. Here's the one I made. I used PVC tube, dowels and springs for the rods. 1" MDF for the base and top and threaded rod for the 4 posts.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alain
mjmeehan

Re: Time to build a GoBar deck

Post by mjmeehan »

A different take... very cool. Do you get the pressure you need?
mjmeehan

Post by mjmeehan »

And I love that back... looking forward to seeing the finished pics!
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

The pressure is not to shabby. The springs are pretty strong. The travel is only about 1.75" though so I'll have to have different length dowels for different jobs. Also I would like to find some rubber caps or something for the ends to protect the soft brace wood from denting.
Alain
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

I like the ingenuity. Keep i mind you will get increasing force with increasing compression. With the bent stick method the force does not seem to increase that much as the stick is bent more, but I haven't really tested that. -Tim
Valleyisle

Post by Valleyisle »

hummingbird wrote:The pressure is not to shabby. The springs are pretty strong. The travel is only about 1.75" though so I'll have to have different length dowels for different jobs. Also I would like to find some rubber caps or something for the ends to protect the soft brace wood from denting.
Hi I'm new here but got an idea that I used. I coated my tips with "hot glue" in the flat shape of a hollow point bullet and the grip is rubbery soft enough (pending the pressure) to do a good secure grip without denting the piece. Hope it works for you.
hummingbird

Post by hummingbird »

Good idea Valley with the hot glue but I'm afraid I don't know what a hollow point bullet looks like. You see I'm Canadian. :)
Alain
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I bet you could also glue 1/4" cork to the ends....might work well enough. Otherwise, I bet if you wrapped tape around the ends, leaving 1/8" or 3/16", you could fill with hot glue, then remove the tape when it cools. I like the spring idea, though it is probably a little more expensive than others.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan