Grizzly 14" bandsaw

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Tim R

Grizzly 14" bandsaw

Post by Tim R »

I have a straightforward question guys and gals: Is the Grizzly G0555p 14” the best bandsaw (at $495) under $500?

If so, how far up the price range does one have to go to get a better one, of any size, and what is the make and model? Also, what is the next best one down in price?

Looking for long-term investment that fits budget. Availability of riser block and other future upgrades is a plus.

The bandsaw buying bug has bitten.

Tim
Jim_H

Re: Grizzly 14" bandsaw

Post by Jim_H »

Tim,

I can't answer about that specific saw.

One thing I learned from my Father is that when you make an investment in a tool that is likely going to last you the rest of your life, it might be worth saving up a little more money to get the best tool you can afford.

If your budget is absolutely firm in that price range, you might consider looking at the used market (i.e. craigslist, etc..). There are some great deals to be found. They might need some TLC and perhaps some new parts and/or upgrades, but you might stumble on a gem.

A bandsaw is an immensely useful tool, and with proper setup and TLC, can do a lot of hard work. When deciding, make use you get a tool that will do everything you want now, or might want to do in the future, without pushing it's limits. In Lutherie, re-sawing, espcially from rough or wet stock, is probably the hardest work you'll want it to do.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Grizzly tools are fair, the shop fox line and Jet have better bearings and motors. Grizzly does have good service . They are easy to deal with. I agree get the best you can afford. I had a 14 sold it for an older walker turner 16 in , I still use that. I also have a Grizzly 19 inch that I resaw with . I had it 4 years and no problems. I did upgrade the guides and I will say that I am pleased with the saw. I only use it a few hours a month but when I do it does the job.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
glasalle1

Post by glasalle1 »

I have the Grizzly 14 G0555X with a riser, and so far am happy with the saw. It certainly does what I wanted from it - cut well, occasional resaw (1.5 HP motor), etc.

Glenn
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

The Shop Fox line are Grizzly products marketed for retail, so the bandsaws are the same as Grizzly, except they accessorize them out differently. Right now you can get the Shop Fox 14" with a 1 hp motor, cast iron wheels, and a closed base for $600 shipped. PM me and I will tell you who has it for this, or Goggle it. This is a better deal than then the GO555 since it has aluminum wheels and does not come with a closed base. Everything else is the same.

I bought the Steel City 14" deluxe saw which has the high resaw capacity, but their lower model is equipped nicely and I think you can get it for around $550 plus shipping. I like the saw, and it is unique with a lower cast granite wheel and granite table.
Give them a look too.

Kevin
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

Thanks for the comments guys.

I haven’t previously given much thought to resawing. However, here in San Diego there are a couple of well-stocked exotic and domestic hardwood warehouses. The thought of buying a 1-2” thick koa or cocobola board and resawing into several backs/side sets is certainly appealing! So, for the 14” Grizzly or Shop Fox with riser, could a 9-10” wide board be resawed reliably, assuming a good blade, good set-up, and patient feed? Or would that just be asking too much? Keep in mind that resawing would be an infrequent event for this hobbyist, so a slow “feed limit” is no problem.

Of course, then I would need a thickness machine to do anything with the resawed lumber (Ah, tools :-), so resawing is a ways down the road, if ever.

Another option might be to just find a local shop that could do the resawing inexpensively.

Tim

Post by   »

Tim R wrote:I have a straightforward question guys and gals: Is the Grizzly G0555p 14” the best bandsaw (at $495) under $500?

If so, how far up the price range does one have to go to get a better one, of any size, and what is the make and model? Also, what is the next best one down in price?

Looking for long-term investment that fits budget. Availability of riser block and other future upgrades is a plus.

The bandsaw buying bug has bitten.

Tim
It has been my experience that the G0555 is, at best, an entry level bandsaw. If you're looking to meet a $500 budget, the GO555 comes close. If you're looking to meet performance requirements and expectations that's a completely different parameter. Perhaps you'd get better advice if you share what it is you expect to do with the bandsaw. Perhaps spend $14.95 for a 1 year subscription to Fine Woodworking online. Lots of reviews by tool experts there who have tested many brands and price points. What's the 'best' tool at a given price range? Well, that answer can only have value if it comes from someone who has experience with the majority of tools in that given price range.

tommy
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I have that saw and find it COMPLETELY adequate for what i need it to do for building and repair of guitars.
Tim Benware
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Tim,

Have you attempted any re-sawing with it? If so what kinds of woods, and how wide were the boards?
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Nick R.

Post by Nick R. »

Hi Tim, Don't know grizzly band saw's but grizzly makes many good power tools, I own a Ridgid BS1400($370) which I like very much a solid saw but if I were to do it again I would make sure it had a quick blade release. There are after market
blade releases but quite pricy, I agree with all the above so buy the best you can afford that way you only cry once. Best and have fun Nick R.