Grizzly 14" bandsaw

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
glenklein

Re: Grizzly 14" bandsaw

Post by glenklein »

tippie53 wrote:One thing about not just the band saw but any good tool , be sure you understand how to set it up. Learning how to adjust the blade and the tracking is crucial , Also that it is square and adjusting guides. Like all tools ,it is only as good as the set up.
I'm just a newb when it comes to building guitars but have been using bandsaws for a while now. What John said above is right on the money - the newer bandsaws kick butt for sure when it comes to maintenance and setup, etc. - but I've been using an old Delta 16" for quite a while -

I paid $40 for it used on craigslist... put new urethane tires and belts on it, set the tracking true, cool blocks, squared it up, trued my table, etc. It cuts like a dream and I have no complaints.

When I go to my buddy's house his saw is much newer and more user-friendly, but a little extra setup time saved me a bundle of cash and my old tank cuts true.

Granted I haven't tried resawing hardwood logs, but have resawn old barn lumber and it works great - just takes a little extra care.

Just my $0.02.
Follow my first build...
http://glenklein.blogspot.com/
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Tim,
I don't know if you did this when trying to fit the new blade or there was an issue with the blade length but be sure to loosen the tension all the way. This drops the top wheel down to shorten the distance and allow slack to fit the blade. Then tighten the tension (raise the top wheel) to whatever is recommended. Oh...don't ask me how I know this but it works much better if the teeth on the blade point down.
Tim R

Post by Tim R »

yea, I did loosen the tension but it still did not fit. Pretty sure the blade was just too small. And yes, the teeth do point down. :)

Thanks,Tim
bnjp

Post by bnjp »

In case anyone is interested, Grizzly still has the Polar bear version of this saw for $449.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-1-HP ... es-/G0555P

Bryan :)