Binding Banding

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
sbrown4292

Binding Banding

Post by sbrown4292 »

Does anybody have a sense of what's best for binding banding? I know some use twill tape, some use rubberbands. LMI has a 50'x7/8" rubber band, StewMac has large rubberbanda that are 1/4" wide. I can't decide if static is better than stretchy. Anybody?
Steve
Winston_S

Re: Binding Banding

Post by Winston_S »

Well, for what its worth as I've only built one guitar so far. I used simple painters tape and it worked quite well for me. Also quite easy to remove, say versus masking tape.
Winston (Kip) Scoville
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I just use the brown binding tape. Although my last guitar I had to supplement with clamps because of some ornery binding. I have a large roll of twill tape, but I've never tried to use it.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I have been using the green 3M tape from Uline. There is a little stretch to it and it comes up fairly easy. I think anything that does the job for your technique will work. This is something you can dry fit to see what works best before you glue up.
I had seen a binding clamp made but it looks impractical for real use. It didn't give you access to the sides to see if you had a good tight fit on the sides. One hint is to think down and In as you tape up.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I also used the green 3M painters tape. I got it at a car parts store that carries paining supplies. I think I got mine from O'Rielly but any NAPA store should have it as well (and probably a lot of other car parts stores).

Edit to add that I sprayed the top with shellac before binding so the tape came up easily.
Slacker......
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I little tip that Rick Davis likes to share.

When removing tape of any kind from a top (spruce, cedar, redwood, etc...), if you heat the tape up with a heat gun a little, it will soften the adhesive and you are a lot less likely to pull up fibers!
My poorly maintained "Blog"