Craig's List Score!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Darryl Young

Craig's List Score!

Post by Darryl Young »

Just picked up a Grizzly 6" Jointer Mosel and a 13" Planer still in the box (I cut the tape and pulled the staples) for $300. Guy bought them new at the store in Springdale and then moved where he didn't have room to set them up. Everything is still in plastic and grease.
Slacker......
tippie53

Re: Craig's List Score!

Post by tippie53 »

lucky you there are great deals out there if you are patient
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Way to go Darryl. Nice nice.
What does that all run new?

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

A little more time to post now (visited some friends last night so had to get away). John, you are right.....patience is the key. I've been looking for a joiner for a while.

The jointer is a Grizzly model number G1182HW (with Hand Wheels) and a 6"X47" bed. It has a 1 HP motor and an enclosed base. It was 225lb so was a lot of fun unloading out of the back of my pickup by myself <grin>. Grizzly no longer sells this exact model so I can't say for sure what it would sell for but their cheapest one is $425 + shipping so over $500 to my house and I paid $200. Here is a pic of the jointer I bought from Grizzly's website:

I didn't need a planer that much but since he would take $100 for it (still sealed in the original box) I decided not to pass it up. It's actually a 12" planer model number G1017 and looks like the pic below. Grizzly no longer sells this model either.
GrizzlyG1017Planer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Slacker......
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

A great score, indeed.
Color me envious. In a good way.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Good score. I would take a jointer over the planer. The jointer is great when making a neck, you can even use it to join the top and back plates. Watch you fingers though the tool has no trouble cutting them.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Yeah John, I was mostly interested in the joiner. Would love to have a spiral head cutter on the joiner. I'm actually considering trying to sell the planer for $200 and add a little more money (not yet sure how much) and get a spiral head cutter for this joiner. Debating this as I keep wondering if I will want a wider joiner long term. I've wanted and needed a joiner for awhile. If I was certain that I can live with a 6" joiner instead of something wider, then I would be more likely to purchase the spiral head cutter.
Slacker......
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Are you looking at a specific spiral head? I've never shopped for them. Are they expensive?
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Yeah, that is a really nice joiner. I don't have shop room for anything else, but I'm envious!

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I put the jointer together Sat./Sun. and it seems to work great. No missing parts. The instructions were for about 4 different models and they didn't mention putting on the back panel after mounting the motor and they didn't mention mounting the handwheels which was specific to my model only.

The only thing that doesn't work is the spring that holds the blade guard against the fence. I want to get this fixed as I don't like that blade spinning without a guard. I haven't yet taken this apart but it appears that the top of the spring has a bent end that comes out into the hole when the spring is tensioned.......so when I slide the rod down in the hole, both ends of the spring go through the slotted rod so the spring is no longer trying to rotate the rod. So I need to take the spring assembly apart and see why this is happening. The spring is normal till you twist the bowl and wind it and then the top of the spring appears in the hole (apparently).

Here are a couple pictures of it assembled.
Jointer1.JPG
Jointer2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Darryl Young on Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slacker......