Simple Plate Joining Jig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Jim_H

Re: Simple Plate Joining Jig

Post by Jim_H »

it just bugs me in a fundamental way. You are using surface tension of the tape adhesive on one side of the wood to generate clamping force. I prefer the idea of applying the pressure from the side using the wedges. There is also the risk of tearing out fibers from the spruce, which, while avoidable, is a pitfall for a new builder.

Like many things, there are just about as many ways to do this as there are people building guitars.

My purpose for posting this thread is not to suggest anyone change their method if it's working for them, but for new people coming along and considering these processes, it's an option.

Edit: I added a disclaimer to my original post.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use all of them. I have a rail and wedge . You may not like the old classical builders did it , They mated the glued joints and let them sit without clamps. You joinery is what is the key to a successful joint.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I apologize if I sounded on the offensive - I'm not. Whatever method is best is the one I will use. That's the only reason I ask: if you prefer another way, why? No biggie.

Thanks to Jim for his response. I can dig it.
Thanks to John also. I did not know that about the old builders not even using clamps. Gads.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I used the tape tension method to join a couple plates to make a rosette. It seemed to work very well.
I was not concerned for the seam showing since so little of it would be in the rosette, but I might be more concerned with the seam showing on a back, or a top for sure. A little more pressure goes a long way to close up that seam. Just my 2 cents.

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Seams not a problem for me. Yet, anyway....
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Jim_H wrote:it just bugs me in a fundamental way. ....... There is also the risk of tearing out fibers from the spruce, which, while avoidable, is a pitfall for a new builder.
I did just that on my last spruce top glue up. Not bad, but I had to be careful.
Slacker......
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

if the mating surfaces are true that is the most important thing . You need a fair clamping force . Tape will work with a good joint it wont on a bad joint.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com