A recipe for bending sides!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
tippie53

Re: A recipe for bending sides!

Post by tippie53 »

Martin uses a dip tank and do not soak the wood . too much water can be more of a problem than not enough. Mahogany and maple don't need much water . Martin process is about 6 minutes from the time they load the machine to when it comes out of the bender .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Okay pros, you have most likely seen stains like these before. Are they going to sand out?

John, on that first practice side that broke at the upper bout, I lightly sprayed, wrapped in paper, and I still got staining....although not as much as I have here. It was all on the outside of the side which was strange. I have to admit I'm a little shy about breaking another side, not the end of the world, I was given this wood, and I have more I can "waste" if necessary, but I figured I'd give this soaking the wood (I didn't boil) a try and see what happens. The side is not cupped, or warped in anyway. I did use a support slat on top, which I pretty much realized could only help to keep the side flat while bending, as it did. What is the main draw back to soaking? Did it cause most of the staining? Why does it stain, why can't the water just steam out of the wood? Is it hurting anything in the wood itself to soak it? This is a big learning experience for me. I not only want to learn what does work, but without too much pain, what doesn't work too.

Ken, I wasn't able to accurately measure the temp of the wood while bending, just the inside of the form, but I would guess the wood was no where near 300 degrees, at least during the bending, maybe during the cook in. Do I not need to cook the side, just leave it long enough to dry it out?

Thanks guys, still lots of questions I know.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

John, I was typing my last post as you were putting your last response up, so sorry for a question you were already answering. :>)

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

I sanded a little on one of the heavy stains with 80 grit, and it took the stain right off, so I think a little sanding, and I will be fine here.
This is good to know.
bending on the electric pipe has been enjoyable, but I wanted more accuracy, I am glad to be "stepping it up" a bit to get that.

I don't need "fancy smancy" to be satisfied with what I'm doing, just results that work. I have cherry and maple sides that I will bend sometime, they will be a bit scary to bend.

Now, another question. I'm using unfigured maple bindings on this guitar. Is it best to bend these along with the side (my thinking) or to do all four bindings together, but separately in the bender?
If I bend them together, does the maple binding need any added moisture?

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I bend the bindings seperately from the sides, but only because I am not thinking about bindings at the time I bend my sides. I tape all four bindings together and bend them.
Kevin Sjostrand

+1 for bending the bindings separate.
Kevin Sjostrand

+2 for bending bindings separate

Taylors machines are incredible, but there was a lot of experimentation and time taken to get to that place, and lots of moola I'm sure.

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

REPORT:
I bent my sides successfully today. They turned out great. Still have some staining, but these will sand off.
I did discover the reason my bender took 50 min. the other night to get to 300 degrees. One of the bulbs had burned out, so I changed it for todays bending. I had 2 x 200 watt and one 150 watt bulbs. It got to 300 in 7 minutes. I did the bending in about 10 minutes, then let it cook. The temp dropped to 250. When it was all done, I looked inside, and the 2 200 watt bulbs had burned out.
Hmmmmmm. So for the second side, I had two 150 watt bulbs and one 70 watt bulb (all I had on hand). I was surprised, it heated to 300 degrees in 10 minutes. I bent the side, and let it cook.....it got up to 380 degrees in the next 15 minutes...WOW.
Anyway, I guess the 200 watts are not going to work, but also are not needed. I will try and stick with 150's.
I still soaked the sides, but for only 10 minutes, and I did get less staining....higher heat and less water I think.
Next time, with different wood, I'll have to try perhaps doing it differently.
I am very pleased with the bender, and how it worked, and the results. Almost no spring back too.
Thanks for all the help and advice. I hope my experience here might help another who wants to build and use a Fox style light bulb bender.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I'm glad it worked well for you Kevin. Now you can move forward in more familiar territory.
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Here is a video of Mario Proulx bending sides. Note he does use holes in the upper metal slat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUJbB0pa ... re=related
Slacker......