Opinions wanted on slot head fixtures

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
darren

Opinions wanted on slot head fixtures

Post by darren »

Is anyone using/used a router template for slot heads? What are you using? How do you like it? I just ruined my neck and will probably be purchasing the luthiertool or lmi jigs, along with the required base and template bearings. Yes, expensive, and I could probably make one, but I don't want to get 20 hours into a neck again and not have it work out... >:(

http://www.luthiertool.com/steel%20string.html

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproduc ... illing+Jig
Darren
johnnparchem

Re: Opinions wanted on slot head fixtures

Post by johnnparchem »

I used the LMI one with good results. It works really well as a drilling guide and as a slot cutting guide. The areas that I had to play with is that the slots are a little wider than I want in my parlor guitar design. I was able to get really close with the correct template guide for my router. Also my head stock is a little thinner than the tool is optimally designed for. The tool also has a feature that allows one to adjust the height of the holes to make sure they are centered. As the tool is rigged for only one side, one must be really careful adjusting the tool for dead center so that the holes are aligned when flipping the headstock over after slotting one side to slot the other. A pin is used to index the guide into one of the tunner holes. I did three necks with this tool.

I have the Luthier tool guide, as it looks like I can adjust the jig for just what I want for my headstock. With that tool there is no need to take the headstock out of the jig the three times required by the LMI. I have yet to make a neck with it, but it is a really well made tool.
darren

Post by darren »

thanks John, and got your pm; will consider that. I lean towards the Luthier tool jig, it looks attractive to set it up once and route away. I was also wondering about being limited to one size/shape headstock with the LMI one. What size bit/bearing resulted in the slot width you liked?

I have a dowling jig which I just purchased and works great for drilling the tuner holes, so centering the tuner holes might be a non-issue.
johnnparchem wrote: As the tool is rigged for only one side, one must be really careful adjusting the tool for dead center so that the holes are aligned when flipping the headstock over after slotting one side to slot the other. A pin is used to index the guide into one of the tunner holes.
Not sure I'm reading this right - do you mean that you can adjust the drilling bar north/south in relation to the slot?
Darren
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

No the holes to the slot is fixed. It is the height that can be adjusted. As I thought about my answer I am not sure what the proplem I was worried about. The slot is indexed to the center tuning whole. You do have to visually line up the jig while drilling the holes for each side. Once the height is set it is set for bothsides. I think what I was remembering is thinking I would have to flip the headstock front to back, that is not the case.
darren

Post by darren »

Rick those are good points. Admittedly my self-confidence is low, and I'm looking for a way to catch up now that I feel like I'm so far behind on this guitar.
Darren
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Darren,

I have to remind myself that, unless you are doing this for a living, there usually isn't a hurry to finish your guitar.

I've figured out that the faster I build guitars, the more guitars I have (and I have too many already :p ).

It's kind of a "the Journey is half the fun" thing, although in my case, I build guitars because I like building guitars, not because I need more guitars. So I'm trying to remind myself to stop and smell the roses a bit more often, which often means taking the time to build proper jigs like Rick mentioned (my first guitar tuner holes are crooked because I got in a hurry and didn't build a fixture like I should have). I am also taking more time to make sure the tools I have a properly set up, tuned, adjusted and sharp, and spending a lot more time getting comfortable with hand tools (specifically planes and chisels).

I'd much rather cozy up to a piece of wood with a nice sharp chisel and plane (scrapers are another story :p), than a 16,000 rpm router bit, given the choice of the two. =)
My poorly maintained "Blog"
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Some of us are tool junkies. For me part of the pleasure is a cool tool. I am starting to build my own templates. Just this weekend I got around my fear of acrylic and made a few templates.
darren

Post by darren »

Jim_H wrote:Darren,

I have to remind myself that, unless you are doing this for a living, there usually isn't a hurry to finish your guitar.

I've figured out that the faster I build guitars, the more guitars I have (and I have too many already :p ).

/snip
more good points Jim - I'm not in a hurry, but did give myself kind of a 'deadline' that's already been blown out of the water, so to speak. I enjoy every part of the journey (mostly) and should have known better than to say 'I'm behind' on this or that. It doesn't really matter if this takes an extra 2 weeks or 2 months, to be honest. I'm just discouraged to have to do something over.

John, I agree, making or getting a cool tool is part of the fun.
Darren
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use a milling machine I love digital read out , but a couple of thou for slotting a few head stocks , Honey may not go for that . A good jig should last you a long time , find one with simple set up and good repeatability .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
darren

Post by darren »

Well here is my fixture, pretty much based on the lmi one. I had all the materials on hand except the destaco clamp.
The test cut went well so I said a prayer and clamped my neck in, and took lots of shallow cuts. I'm pretty happy and will sand the string ramps tonight. Thanks for all the input.:)
headstock-026.jpg
headstock-028.jpg

go here to see the slotted headstock.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren