I want to buy a bandsaw.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Darryl Young

Re: I want to buy a bandsaw.

Post by Darryl Young »

Kevin, Robbie O'Brien just released a new video about resawing and setup for resawing that may interest you. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZviQKoKJ ... r_embedded
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Darryl,
I watched that Tips D jour this morning. Excellent information. Little by little I am learning about 14" saws.
I think I am leaning toward the Grizzly Ultimate 14" Polar bear series with a riser block and roller stand.
It fits in my budget......
but then... I am really still undecided, cause I want the tall resaw fence too, another $100. argh!

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

My Rigid bandsaw is similar to the one you mention. I bought it for $200 on Craig's List with a 6" riser block already installed. A bandsaw is very handy for luthier work (never really missed one before building a guitar). For general use the bandsaw you mention would work great (work better without the riser block). If you want to re-saw, I'm afraid you might be disappointed (of course that depends on the intended use).

The Grizzly G0457 14" 2 HP Deluxe Bandsaw might be a good 14" saw for resawing.......2 HP motor (nice for resawing rosewood etc.), welded steel frame can tension a wider blade (which helps tracking while re-sawing) and flexes less so is more accurate, re-saw fence is included, ball bearing guides, and quick release for the blade tension. Most recommend de-tensioning the blade (to save the rubber on the wheels) when it's not in use so the quick release saves time and annoyance but doesn't really improve re-saw. $989 Delivered. Not sure what the Rikon bandsaws run. This saw might run a carbide tooth blade, not sure.

If you decide not to re-saw, maybe Craig's list will deliver a jewel. You are more accurate without the riser block so it's a waste if you aren't re-sawing (at least I can't think of a purpose for it other than re-saw).
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Darryl,
A local guy has a Rigid, looks like new, with a $90 fence and a closed base for $225. I think he said its on a roller base too. I know for what it is that's a good price, but I think I want more of a saw than that. So you can get a riser block for the rigid?
I would love to get that Grizzly 14" you are talking about, but I am limited to 20 amps in my garage shop, so I would be stretching my limit, so I've decided it will have to be a max of 1 1/2 hp motor.
Another local saw in craigs list today is a Jet for $425. He doesn't say the model, but says it has a 8" resaw height. I'm not familar with a Jet with this, no pictures.
I'm going to see what Santa decides to do this Christmas, and the boss with bonuses this year, then I can make a more educated decision because I would like to get the best saw I can afford.
I have outgrown my 10" 3 wheel Craftsman bandsaw.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Apparently, you can get a riser block for a Rigid as mine has one on it. It was put on there by the previous owner.......but it looks factory. Maybe I can get a pic of mine. I had an older 12" Craftsman bandsaw before buying this one a year or so ago. Just now got around to putting the 12" saw up for sale. Supposedly, a guy will meet me at home after work today to pick it up. Be nice to have it out of the shop to re-gain the space.

I'm torn between spending time trying to get my bandsaw to re-saw (a challenge), and just saving for a nice resaw unit later. I'm leaning toward getting another larger bandsaw for re-saw. Probably just watch for a good deal on Craig's List. Seen a decent looking Dayton last week. If I were smart, I would find a Craftsmen table saw with 1 1/2HP motor on CL, buy it, put that motor on my bandsaw, put the 3/4HP motor off my bandsaw on the table saw, and then re-sell the tablesaw for close to the same price I bought it for.

I don't have 220V in my current shop. The lights dim when I start my 1 1/2HP (15 Amp) tablesaw so while I could easily connect the opposite phase and have 220V out there, the wire may not be sufficiently sized. Although, now that I think about it, if I did connect for 220V, it would half the amperage used by the table saw........and then I could use my 220V dust collection system which is just collecting dust (on the outside)........hmmmmm. Thoughts? Any electricians?
Slacker......
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

When making a power tool purchase, remember that you will have to be happy with it for a long time. Considering how long you will have it, it's probably worth spending an extra hundred bucks (or so) to get the right saw.

My approach was to get as much saw as I could make space for, knowing it would almost certainly be the last bandsaw I ever bought.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Info on a riser block for a Rigid bandsaw:

http://forums.finewoodworking.com/fine- ... iser-block
Slacker......
sbrown4292

Post by sbrown4292 »

I wanted a 14" Rikon from Woodcraft. The Owner said taht if I planned to do any resawing, I'd be much happier with the 18". I took his advice and I'm glad I did. The 18" has plenty of power to cut about anything, including guitar tops, sides and backs. You're right, it does require 220. If you can get an electrican to help you for a reasonable price, I highly recommend the upgrade.
Steve B.