home-made tenon router jig

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
darren

home-made tenon router jig

Post by darren »

at the prompting of some other members I thought it was a good time to make this. seeing as i dread cutting the tenon and cheeks by hand. I tried it out on a lowes cedar neck I have been using for a guinea pig. A few adjustments and I'll be ready to go on my mahogany neck.

This is based on the stewmac diagram but with my own twist. the neck angle is adjusted using the wingnuts, the plastic is a 2$ cutting board, I can make others(dovetail, maybe a mortise template, etc) and just drop em in.
tenon-002.jpg
tenon-003.jpg
tenon-001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
darren

Re: home-made tenon router jig

Post by darren »

one more:
tenon-004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

No bad at all Darren, I like the simplicity of how you adjust the angle, now, what about the mortise??

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Nice! I use a simpson neck router jig that work sort of the same. I really like the way you set the angle.
darren

Post by darren »

thanks. fingers are crossed for the 'actual' cut. at worst i'll have to stack a new heel.

Kevin, this is how I do the matching mortise:
body-009.jpg
Darren
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Cool rig!
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Nice job Darren!
How do you cut the inside detail on HDPE cutting board template?
darren

Post by darren »

Tarhead wrote:Nice job Darren!
How do you cut the inside detail on HDPE cutting board template?
drilled holes at the corners and cut with a coping saw. went super smooth. The first layer I fiddled with till it was exactly on my lines. the second layer i installed slightly overhanging, and ran the flush-cutting bit around to get them the same dimensions.
Darren
wannabebuilder

Post by wannabebuilder »

darren wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:55 pm one more:tenon-004.jpg
Do you have plans available or can send plans? I need a trace of a mortise and tenon template does anybody have time to trace their mortise and tenon template for me?
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

I have a .pdf version of a plan for a similar one I found somewhere. PM me an email address and I'll send it. The M&T templates should be made based on the plans. Draw out an actual size pattern on paper of the mortise and use a hand saw/jigsaw/band saw or freehand with a router as close as you can to the line. Then, true up the edges with a chisel and file. Practice on a 2x4 cut-off. MDF, hardboard(Masonite) or plywood can also be used instead of plastic.