www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Parts for a bender
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:39 pm 

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:
I like the idea of a solid mold, al bet it will be much heavier, but I have a roll of stainless steel foil that would work great for covering the wood surface. I was going to just get some steel conduit for the pipe separators ( I know, galvanized, but it will eventually burn off) and that is pretty inexpensive to by, plus the mold is much lighter weight.

So with a solid mold, I could use just one slat over the top of the blanket and side, correct?

Kevin

Just my 2 cents, when first learning to build my instructor used a solid form and broke 2 sides while bending. When I got home I built the same forms and proceeded to break some as well. I bought John's bender (Blues Creek) and have bent 7 sets following his instructions with no breaks. The bending goes much faster and I feel much more confident in this process now (Thanks John). Tony, made a video using the LMI bender which is a similar process and made a comment to the effect of "That was easy, I don't see what the big deal is." No big deal with the right equipment. The way I was bending I figure it was worth the investment, for peace of mind if not for the money saved from broken sides.