gobar disaster

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
David L

gobar disaster

Post by David L »

I only use my gobar deck to brace up the top an back and also to close the box. When I complete these tasks I disassemble the gobar deck and neatly and "safely stow the deck in the shop out of the way. This is what happens to MDF when the "safe" place to stow it is right under the window AC unit. Because an AC works like a dehumidifier the condensation drained down onto the gobar deck essentially ruining it (yes I know, no thought was put into this decision on where to stow it, bonehead decision on my part). The good news is that the replacement deck that I'm building is nearing completion and is a major upgrade and I will lable it as "New and Improved". It should be complete witin a week and I will post pictures of it so stay tuned, same bat time, same bat channel!

David L
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
darren

Re: gobar disaster

Post by darren »

mmmm - spalted mdf rosettes!
Darren
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

David,
Perhaps you could resaw that for a guitar
Sorry for the disaster
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Congrats for turning your 'disaster' into an opportunity to improve your setup!
My poorly maintained "Blog"
pete nardo

Post by pete nardo »

a couple coats of paint and it'd look brand new!
David L

Post by David L »

pete nardo wrote:a couple coats of paint and it'd look brand new!
The MDF is swollen in some places and debonding in others. Bottom line, keep MDF away from water. The wenge trim is salvageable.

David L
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

MDF makes for a poor plywood replacement. Use 2 sheets of ply and you will be safer. Use marine ply and you can store it in the tub . LOL .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

To me a go bar deck disaster is when you accidentally shoot a bar through a $100 sound-board.

As you have found out wood and water are not the best of friends -- even marine plywood will turn to crap if not protected with a coating, I agree with the above, in a moisture area a coating of solvent based finish is a good idea for any wood material, man made or other.
David L

Post by David L »

The new gobar deck that I am building is double layered MDF and I just put a second coat of brush on lacquer on it.

David L