Handmade binding router tower

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Handmade binding router tower

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Not fancy, but I think it will do the trick. Three evenings, about 6 hours, $15 for the drawer slides, $50 for the router, about $1.50 worth of screws, and left over 3/4" birch plywood. I will get springs to put where there are rubber bands now, but the rubber bands do work.
I will be making the guitar carrier out of MDF that I have with leather for pads where the body sits.
Anyway, here are a few pics. I pretty much just looked on the internet at some others that have been made and are in use and came up with my own design and dimensions.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Handmade binding router tower

a couple more pics......
It is sturdy, square, and balanced. Not sure if the "shoe" that will ride on the rims is just right, but we will see. It can be modified or changed.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

That's really nice work Kevin! I'm impressed.

I'm also curious to see your sled. I have the stewmac sled, and the brackets are terrible. I'm going to rebuild it before I route any more bindings an I'm looking for ideas. :p
My poorly maintained "Blog"
David L

Post by David L »

I commend you guys who make your own tools, I am so not into that. I've dabbled in it but for the most part I'd rather but what I need, not the most economical way but works for me.

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Hey Jim,
I'm not sure how I'm going to provide for the support and leveling of the guitar yet on the carrier, but I'll post pics when I get it. It will probably be a little different than what you have, the typical adjustable leg idea, but then I may end up with that setup.

David, I hear you! I would usually just want to purchase ready made jigs, but some of this stuff is quite expensive. I've been making due with a $25 attachment on a handheld router, but just wanted to get more precision, and thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks Ken, I can see your point on the balance. Two rubber bands per side is not enough, and 3 is too much. :>)
Getting the right length and strength springs might be a guessing game too. Probably why you see guys using counter balance weights instead......easy to add or take off a little!
I know you like your system, we've talked about it before. Kinkade uses the same idea, and I like it, thought about trying it, but decided to try this out first, and I may try the router table deal later.

Kevin
PiedmontSlim

Post by PiedmontSlim »

Good Idea.

Might I suggest replacing the wood doughnut at the bit with a piece of cutting board?
Kevin Sjostrand

Hi Slim
Yes you may! Actually I looked in the local hardware store for some UHMW or Polyethlene, or......and yes, even thought about cutting up one of my wifes cutting boards. I'll probably look at the dollar store. I have some 3M Teflon tape that I am going to put on the surface of that half donut...ultra slippery stuff that might work better than the slippery plastic. The wood is poplar and is pretty soft, so shouldn't damage the rim....I will be doing many test cuts to check it out.

Kevin
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Looks great Kevin!

You can get a UHMW doughnut from John for not too much (I have one that I haven't yet used). You might try lead curtain weights attached by a string over a pulley on back to counterbalance the router.
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

I bought some 7" long 5/16" springs today to try. If they don't work, then I'll probably just use rubber bands, changing them each time I use this thing, which isn't at this point going to be more than twice a year. Sometimes simple can be better....and cheaper too.
The springs cost $6, the rubber bands I already have. :>)

Darryl, I have a hunk of brass that I thought about using as a counter weight....not sure what it weighs but it might be right, however the rubber band thing is pretty easy.

Kevin
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Like Ken said, it's just important to get the balance just right so there is just enough weight bearing down on the body to keep the router in place and stable, but not enough to put a dent in your tops.

The weight counter balance combined with the rubber bands might be an option too. I think my fear with the rubber bands is that one might snap mid route...
Last edited by Jim_H on Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My poorly maintained "Blog"