Fret Beveling File

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Darryl Young

Fret Beveling File

Post by Darryl Young »

Anyone made your own fret beveling file? Would you mind posting pictures showing the assembled product? Did you leave the base flat or round it to match the fret radius? Thanks!
Slacker......
JJDonohue

Re: Fret Beveling File

Post by JJDonohue »

I made one similar to that which Tony showed. Mine also has a 90* slot for filing fret ends flush but I often just hold the file in my hand and flush the ends without bothering to mount the file in the block. The 30* bevel is the operation I make sure is done consistently and uniformly.

I don't like denying the suppliers their livelihood but I try to save anywhere I can by making my own jigs. After all...if one can make a guitar, one can make almost anything from wood! I use the money I save to buy more and more wood.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Thanks everyone. If anyone has a pic of how the file is clamped into your unit, please post. I know a couple ways to do it but would like to see other options.
Slacker......
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Darryl...I don't have a pic but I just use 2 tiny wooden wedges at either end of the file to keep it secure in the slot. I've been meaning to install 2 T-nuts and use knobbed bolts to tighten but the wedges work fine.
penndan

Post by penndan »

Here's my take on a fret end file. I stole the basic idea from someone else, but I forgot who/whom. Just a hunk of 2x4 with a slot up the middle cut to snug fit your file. Cut the bevel side to about 30 degrees. File tang was cut off with a dremel emery disk. Sharp corners ground off on a grinding wheel.

JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Penndan...great idea and something I'm gonna "steal" as well. This way I can permanently mount the file and eliminate the need to change it to a different slot. In this instance, I'll give you credit for the idea in my journal!
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

This may be heresy, but I've found that I can bevel the ends of the frets by holding the file at an angle and sliding up and down the board.
I just looked at the ones for my current build last night, and they all looked good, very uniform.
If someone has a good reason not to do it the way I've been doing it, please let me know, and I'll adopt the method in this topic. Something in the back of my mind says I'm probably goofing it big time!
Bob
JJDonohue

Post by JJDonohue »

Bob...I started the same way and used to think the same thing. Once I started using the jig, I quickly saw the difference...and what uniformity really looks like. I would recommend trying it for yourself.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I was a machinist for 20 years and while I have free handed a few boards but it is a practice I stopped . If you ever blow that angle you are doing a refret . This is a simple jig to make and one that will give you consistency . A fret job is one of the few things you just can't leave to chance.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

I will defer to you two guys. I once said to someone else that "if you cut too many corners, you end up going around in circles". Now I will take my own advice. The last thing I want to do on this build is give myself more problems. Thanks for sharing, maybe someone will benefit by not using my idea.
Bob