Do you know what this is?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
deadedith

Do you know what this is?

Post by deadedith »

I do now; I just ran across it in traditionalwoodworker catalog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
David L

Re: Do you know what this is?

Post by David L »

An adjustable radiused planer?

David L
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

It's a compass plane...

Commonly used for making wooden chair seats, and similarly bowl shaped objects.

Could be handy if you want to make your own radius dishes, but man.. making those things with power tools sucks bad enough... :p
My poorly maintained "Blog"
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Right - called a radius plane or circular ship's plane or compass plane. It does concave or convex radii.
My first thought was - radius dish!! - but like you said, hard enough with power tools -

I don't need this plane, but I want it nonetheless. However I can't afford it, and I KNOW Santa won't be bringing it 'cause she is looking at the picture and the price and laughing..
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

In one of Sloane's books he has details for a small convex plane made out of a chunk of wood and a scraper blade. I used it to carve a few Les Paul's with surprising success -- I gave it to my wood carving father in law who has since passed away -- but he had used it lot too.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

John Bogdanovich uses a home made compass plane to scoop out the dome in the solera he uses on his video series.

I believe he may be selling a kit to make one at some point.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Brian - those are some impressive old planes. Especially that chute plane - I've never seen one but I could find uses for that.
Thanks