kencierp

Re: What about this?

Post by kencierp »

rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

kencierp wrote:Make it at least 17" wide

http://www.rockslide.org/drum%20sander.html

I personally want to thank you for once again, sharing some great information Ken, this is so cool...you come up with some great stuff!
It's one of those things that I would love to have and just can't afford.
But I've got most of the material to put this thing together including the motor...need the bearings and shaft and a couple of other things, but I certainly intend to give it a try.

Ray (:>)8>
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

Phil wrote:
kencierp wrote:With two hundred dollars and four or five hours of your time you can build a drum sander that will really do the job --- this tool with and its 1/3 hp motor will take about 40 minutes to take off 1/16" of hard wood from a 5"x20" board --- no joke!!

You have any pics/info/links to info on building a drum sander?

I built this one over a weekend, and it works fairly well. I have a 1 horse motor on it, would go higher if you can afford it at 18" across. It does take quite a few passes to bring somthing down from 1/4" to sub 1/8", and my construction could be better, but in the end, it works well. I would also consider doing a hook & loop roller, which I may convert too when I run out of the sticky roll paper I have....I think it would be less prone to melting onto the roller. I need to work on the hood....the original in the picture was destroyed, adn the current one allows alot of ambient air in. A shop vac does a good enough job keeping the super-light floating dust out of the air, but there is usually a small pile of sawdust inside when you finish the job. Not a big deal, but it was fun to build, and is great to have....I can buy wood close to where I want it, and sand it down to where I like it on my own. Anyway, the page on my site has a good description, as well as a link to the site I found the plans (and other variants).

One intersting mod someone did was rather than hinge one end and crank the other, the guy set up the crank with a bike chain, and a bike sprocket at each corner on threaded rod. This way, he could level the whole table, then mount the chain. When he cranked the table, it rose the same amount at all four corners.

http://www.nocturnalguitars.com/Nocturn ... Sander.php
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Phil

Post by Phil »

Thanks for all the great info! When I start building my shop I'm really thinking of building one of these thickness sanders for sure! Doesn't look like it would be too hard to do either. Let's see if I can hunt down a motor and some bearings.....
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

Yup, once again, thanks Ken H. (:>)8>
Ray