Thickness sander

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
David L

Thickness sander

Post by David L »

Does anyone know of an inexensive production bench top thickness sander (drun sander)?

David L
Jim_H

Re: Thickness sander

Post by Jim_H »

Not sure what 'inexpensive' is.

The Jet 10/20 comes in a bench version and runs about $750. You might find it cheaper if you shop around.
http://www.amazon.com/628900-10-Inch-1- ... 826&sr=8-2

For less than $300 more, you can get a Jet 16/22 with a stand.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Not sure what 'inexpensive' is.

The Jet 10/20 comes in a bench version and runs about $750. You might find it cheaper if you shop around.
http://www.amazon.com/628900-10-Inch-1- ... 826&sr=8-2

For less than $300 more, you can get a Jet 16/32 with a stand.
Last edited by Jim_H on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

We have one Performax/Jet 10/20 it works well -- hardly a production sander however -- motorized conveyor yes -- heavy work NO!

We use this little one for finger-boards and trim but in a pinch tops and back can be processed.

Aside from accurate adjustments the thing that makes a drum sander speedy and effective is raw power --- our 37" dual drum Supermax has a 5HP motor at times I wish the motor was bigger!

A good dust collector is required for any size drum sander -- a shop vac will not get it, so plan on that expense as well.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

David,
Keep a keen eye in the used market and be ready to deal.
I got my 16/32 Ryobi in very good, barely used shape for $150 locally....a steal and I was able to pick it up. I never imagined I'd find one for that price. For one or two guitars a year, I am in drum sander heaven.

Kevin
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Ditto on Craig's list

I've picked up stuff (machines) in need of what I would call slight repair (bearings, belts and even a motor) for 1/20th!!!! the original cost.

If you have tool auctions in your area sometimes wood working equipment goes for a song.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Sanders are one tool that is an investment . I had a Grizzly double drum 24 incher but replaced that with an 18 inch wide belt sander . The Belt sander was worth the investment but again there is a line to cross on cost and investment to production.
The small 10 20 open enders are ok for light work but like Ken noted , POWER it does make a difference.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

I picked up a used Performax 16/32 for about $250. Only thing I had to do was rewire the feed motor switch. I made sure it ran before I bought it and I could see where it was wired incorrectly. I just seen a used Ryobi last week on our local CraigsList. All my recent tool purchases have been used. Only downside is waiting till you find what you are looking for. Well, I got burned once on a 4" belt sander. I heard something that sounded not exactly right and thought it was the motor but I let the guy convince me otherwise. It went out with 1 hour of usage......so I lost $50. Now I trust my instincts and judge the person and situation as well as the equipment. Don't be afraid to walk away if anything doesn't seem right.
Slacker......
pwhite

Post by pwhite »

Ditto,Ditto on the craigslist. I picked up a 16/32 used in like new condition for 450.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Craiglist often has good deals .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com