Fret mask

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
naccoachbob

Fret mask

Post by naccoachbob »

Either LMI or Stewmac sold a metal mask for cleaning up frets. It fit between frets, with a hole the length of the fret you were working on. You could use a file and not risk damaging the fretboard.
Stewmac has this: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_su ... es#details
But it's a 1 time use item, and I'd prefer to use the metal one and just move it from fret to fret.
Does anyone remember who had it? Or where else I might get one?
I don't really want to get into cutting out a piece of aluminum and then trying to slot it. It's a bit past my ability and tool set.
Thanks,
Bob
michaeld

Re: Fret mask

Post by michaeld »

I recommend you go to a drafting supply store, an art store, or a university book store and buy a drafting erasing shield. It's a thin piece of metal (maybe 3" x 2") with various slots cut in it. It works great for placing over the fret you are working on. (I assume they still sell erasing shields; I've had mine for 35 years!)

Mike
naccoachbob

Re: Fret mask

Post by naccoachbob »

Thanks, Michael. I've got to buy some other things from Stewmac, and Frank hit the nail on the head. I just couldn't find it for some reason.
One thing I forgot to mention in the first post here was that those can be used also for setting nut groove height. I'll have to find the post that talked about it, but even without it, the measurements are easy to find and just placing one (or a couple) along the nut and scribing a pencil line will give you a pretty good height to work with.
Appreciate you both.
Bob