Need stewmac digital caliper!!

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Dan Bombliss

Re: Need stewmac digital caliper!!

Post by Dan Bombliss »

Well, in the orientation they had said it's because it's easiest that way. They require quality unused chisels, because it will take less time and frustration to work them into what they want. The plane is required because they know it's a quality plane that will perform. The other specific tools is basically to keep it universal so it's easier to demonstrate and we'd all have a common reference.

It's not something I really should complain about, my biggest handicap at the moment is my lack of good tools, so this is a good thing.

And I think the LMI caliper was required because the fret height gauge, I'm guessing to measure the height for frets when doing fret leveling and what not. The other thing about my calipers is that the jaws came to a point, and theirs was flat, which meant my measurements were wrong if the point dug into the wood at all.

The tool list I had to get myself was about 400 bucks, the tool list they have ready for me is about another 400 bucks, and those are the tools for the first semester covering thorough repairs and setup and what not. There will be another roughly 800-1200 dollar price list for tools for the second semster which is actually building. So when I'm done I'll have training and proper tools which I'm looking forward too.

-Dan
naccoachbob

Post by naccoachbob »

Dan, what school is this? Interesting.
You're certainly going to be well stocked with tools and such.
If they're that particular about things, I would bet it's a pretty good school.
Please keep us informed as you go along, maybe a long-running thread. I know I'd be very interested.
Good luck, too!!
Bob
Dan Bombliss

Post by Dan Bombliss »

Bob,

I'll be attending Minnesota State South Eastern Technical in Red Wing MN. I've only heard good things of it so far. Went to the orientation and got a pretty good idea of what the program consists of, and it sounds extremely intensive and thorough. For example, it's 8am-5pm mon-fri, not nearly as long of vacation breaks as other schools. First 4 weeks alone is tool prep for chisels and what not, and using them correctly. Which is like a 16 week course in your ordinary school, as far as hours invested goes.

The first semester basically is concentrated on repairs; setup, necksets, cracks, and what ever else. (A buddy of mine has a vintage Guild 12 string dread with a completely unattached neck joint, only held on by fretboard that I hope to get a chance to repair while I'm up there). It also will be getting into how/why things affect sound, and how body style/size, wood selection, wood thicknesses and all other aspects are going to change and effect the sound, so that students will have an idea of what they are doing and why, and how to get closer to a specific tone. (So far it's been hit or miss, and learning by trial.)

Second semester will be building an acoustic, and I already have some really nice looking, nice grade Hawaiian Koa back and sides, that I will potentially get some bearclaw spruce to go along with. And I'm really looking forward to a more professional product, and getting in depth with finishing.

I like your idea about making a thread to touch base with what I'm up to at that school. I'll try to keep track of the interesting stuff, and keep this forum updated, for who ever is interested. Starting the 23rd, we'll see what I'm actually getting into :P

-Dan