Homemade Go Bar deck question

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
tippie53

Re: Homemade Go Bar deck question

Post by tippie53 »

Use carpet or foam on the top of the gobar , It sure reduces the slippage factor.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Victory Pete

Post by Victory Pete »

JRHall wrote:Here's my go bar set up.

I was able to scrounge a 1/4 inch piece of Lexan for the top, and as you can see I placed it over a light fixture under my cabinet.

There is a 4.5" spacer under my radius dish, so if I want to do a body this way, I have room.

Access is limited, but with all the light, viability is great
Great idea with the Lexan, I am thinking about illuminating my Deck. Is the Lexan slippery at all?

VP
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

Not as much as I would have thought.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
nkwak

Post by nkwak »

It’s been a long time but after lots of life getting in the way of my second build I am nearing the point where I am going to close the box. My workspace has been cluttered and decluttered several times and the wooden bars have been tossed. Looking for alternatives I read that someone here had gone to Harbor Freight and bought the nylon wiring kit (which is essentially 10 nylon rods with brass fittings at each end) and used them as go bars. So that’s what I did too, though as the rods are 36” long I figured that I’d need to modify my homemade go bar deck and make it adjustable using 1/2” threaded rods and appropriate sized nuts and washers.

Sure, I could buy the stew Mac deck for a little more but making the jigs is about as fun as the build itself.
~ Neil