All Hail "Slo-glue"

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
deadedith

All Hail "Slo-glue"

Post by deadedith »

With a lot more open time than what I normally use, this glue made gluing on a top a leisurely affair, rather than the somewhat frantic, hurried and harried thing it has been for me in the past.

I like it.
There is an excellent chance that I could glue binding on top and bottom, and still have time to wrap the bindings on the entire instrument, without bein rushed. We shall see.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: All Hail "Slo-glue"

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Never heard of it, where'd you get it?
What's the open time?

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Ken Cierp gave me the link to Garrett-Wade.
The glue reaches 75% of its strength in 30-40 minutes.
It is a professional woodworking glue. That extra open time is a luxury.
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

brian wrote:Titebond(Franklin) makes a similar product called Extend. I have used this a lot when laminating curved railings. The extra working time is a must.

Brian
Make sure the kids aren't hanging around when you Google "extend"
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

LOL
Oval Soundhole

Post by Oval Soundhole »

Why would you need open time of over 30 minutes? I use HHG that has an open time of a very brief time and have never had any problems. If I glue on a back, it takes me 5-8 minutes so I use fish glue, but other than that I don't see the need for a long open time.
Rock over london. Rock on Chicago. Wheaties, breakfast of champions
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I like not being pushed by a time limit; I like to take my time; I like to make allowance for the fact that I am not perfect each time.
Also, for wrapping my bindings, the short open time of other glues is a big obstacle for me.

I'm happy that you're happy with your procedure. I'm not racing anyone or competing with anyone.

I really like slo-glue.
Oval Soundhole

Post by Oval Soundhole »

Ok, have you checked out fish glue before? It's pretty much hot hide glue, but ready to use in a bottle and I believe it has an open time of an hour.
Rock over london. Rock on Chicago. Wheaties, breakfast of champions
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

"Haste makes waste" -- Slow dry glue is designed for the "wood working perfectionist" that wants to take extra care in getting things aligned spot on and then have an opportunity to go back and make sure nothing has moved after clamping/taping and if so there is time to make corrections -- the alternative is surely a repair that can be detected. Every guitar making forum has thread after thread asking how to fill gaps especially binding gaps --- not good. There is nothing on the label of a fine guitar that indicates how fast it was glued together. $.02
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Yep. I do use HHG as well for bracing and other construction parts.

How do I say this: I like slo glue for the steps where it serves my purposes. I am not in a hurry; I let most stuff dry overnight anyway, so this does not change my methodology much. And it is a professional woodworking glue used by other builders, woodworkers, furniture people etc. It has its uses.