Jig quiz

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
JRHall

Re: Jig quiz

Post by JRHall »

What I came away with from the other thread, it doesn't matter how you actually do it, as long as you end up with the proper angle at the neck block. This reminded me, I hadn't been measuring this directly as I should. The more I thought about it, the easier it seemed to do.

I used a Martin neck to set the angle on my miter saw, and the rest was easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
If you can't do something well, learn to enjoy doing it poorly.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

My Engineer friend DaveH on this forum, has ask me several times to design and produce a tool similar to the one you made. Makes sense -- good for you!
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I dunno, seems like you could just buy a $300 tool from Veritas to do the same thing. :-)
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Couldn't you just check the neck block angle with one of these or am I missing something (which I probably am)?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Benware
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Tony_in_NYC wrote: Second, the Hitch Hikers guide is the best 4 part trilogy I have ever read. Period.
I'm right with you on this one. They are priceless...
Also, isn't it a 5 part trilogy? Even Adams himself said (I loosely quote) “I suspect at some point in the future I will write a sixth Hitchhiker book. Five seems to be a wrong kind of number, six is a better kind of number.”
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

Ben-Had wrote:Couldn't you just check the neck block angle with one of these or am I missing something (which I probably am)?
First, I'd have to buy one.

Mine cost nothing, since it was made from scrap.

Jim
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

kencierp wrote:1.3/1.5 degree neck block slope checker -- stretcher lays across the rim at the sound hole edge or waist curve "L" against the rim at the neck.
Thats what I was going to say, but I couldn't get a Round TOOit.

Kevin
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

JRHall wrote:
Ben-Had wrote:Couldn't you just check the neck block angle with one of these or am I missing something (which I probably am)?

Jim
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea. My question was genuine, it does do the same thing correct? I thought yours may also be a sanding jig as well, I couldn't tell.
Tim Benware
JRHall

Post by JRHall »

Ben-Had wrote:
JRHall wrote:

Jim
Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great idea. My question was genuine, it does do the same thing correct? I thought yours may also be a sanding jig as well, I couldn't tell.
Actually, the gauge you showed measures angles, my jig just checks one specific angle, more of a production check. Also a little more idiot proof :).
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

MuddyFox wrote:
Tony_in_NYC wrote: Second, the Hitch Hikers guide is the best 4 part trilogy I have ever read. Period.
I'm right with you on this one. They are priceless...
Also, isn't it a 5 part trilogy? Even Adams himself said (I loosely quote) “I suspect at some point in the future I will write a sixth Hitchhiker book. Five seems to be a wrong kind of number, six is a better kind of number.”
I dunno. I only remember four books, but I might have missed one.