Guitar molds and frets

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!

Guitar molds and frets

Post by   »

What would the difference be between a 000 mold for a 12 fret and a 000 mold for a 14 fret?

Thanks,
tb
Tony_in_NYC

Re: Guitar molds and frets

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

None as far as I know. The bridge location will change, and a 000-14 is commonly referred to as an OM, and generally has the Martin long scale, whereas the 000-12 generally has the short scale. However, you can build any combination you wish if you are building your own.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

OK -- an OM and a 000 14th fret are generally considered to be the same instrument both can have either a long or short scale finger board. Of course the neck is attached at the 14th fret.

The 000 is most commonly in reference to the instruments where the neck is attached at the 12th fret. This is the kit that Stew Mac sells as their 000 model. This model is also longer (about 1") then the "OM / 00014 th fret" so there is a different mold required.
Now there is a hybrid most often called the "Norman Blake" style OM this is the OM body with a neck that is attached at the 12th fret -- a little unusual looking since the bridge is placed way down on the lower bout. I plan to kit this style soon. Hope this helps.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

This just proves, once again, that I really don't know what I am talking about! LOL
I better work on my drawing skills some more.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Kens close but in Martin lingo a 000 14 fret and an OM as the same body shape but we get into some gray areas. Stew mac uses the 000 as a 12 fret designation . A Norm Blake 000 at martin is a 14 fret body with a 12 fret neck
So are we confused yet ????? Ad more to the fire, while an OM is always a 14 fret long scale a Martin 000 14 fret can be short or long scale .
Yup it is fun ain't it .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Egads.

(No, that is not a new tuning :-) It is a whimper of confusion )

That KMG Norman Blake sounds very interesting.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

As I think John once pointed out, --it seems that there was alcohol involved at the Martin Board meeting when "000" specifications were determined!!
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I do know that these are all guitar models you are talking about. Right?
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I got your guitar model right HERE:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

kencierp wrote:As I think John once pointed out, --it seems that there was alcohol involved at the Martin Board meeting when "000" specifications were determined!!
At least they didn't rate it XXX at that same meeting.

Edit: AHHH! You beat me, and I must admit, your post is far more elegant, superior in every way. Well done.
Last edited by Ken Hundley on Fri Jul 29, 2011 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan