Spool clamps

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
kencierp

Re: Spool clamps

Post by kencierp »

Well -- I must say I have never had that problem. We use nitrile gloves too. I keep the clamping rubber bands in a coffee can with a lid. I have clothes pins with rubber bands that are 15 years old (or more) -- my guess it's UV that is causing your problem - I just don't know? I have a bag here from Office Max (Boise) and another from Uline (Alliance). BTW rubber bands are certainly not my idea -- elastic materials have been in use as long as they have been around.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Tommy, I seriously doubt your comment bothered anyone reasonable. I thought you were very clear.

Personally, I like to use a go-bar deck for closing the box since I already have it for glueing braces to the soundboard/back.

Darryl
tommyboy wrote:*CLARIFICATION*

When stating my difficulty in understanding some things on Ken Cierp's site I thought I made it clear that I was not trying to blame Ken. To clarify, I was not blaming Ken. I was blaming myself, the dim bulb. I'm told that I ruffled feathers and spurred a wave of support messages to Ken after appearing to be a 'rogue'. That was not my intention. If anyone needs further clarification, feel free to PM me.

tb
Slacker......

Post by   »

I bought the stuff I need to build a GoBar deck but haven't gotten to putting it together. As I plan it out in my head I question whether threaded rods are necessary. Notched/slotted/dowel holed 1"x1"s securely attached to the 4 corners of the base while applying the adjustability of choice to the top of the 1"x1"s should do the trick, or am I missing something??

tb
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

We had a few of the decks at one time -- no rods. Just keep in mind that the darn thing is trying to push itself apart. So make sure your corner supports and rabbets are very sturdy. A large "L" bracket fastening system for the top and bottom that wraps around will not break loose. Doubling the thickness of the top and bottom will spare you of some headaches. Elsewhere I think math appeared showing how much pressure is being applied. If the structure is not rigid each time you add a bar the top flexes and lessen the clamping force of the previous bars -- kind of a cluster and stuff starts moving around. Bill Cory once posted the idea of putting a piece of carpet on the top of the deck so the rods don't move around as much -- seems like a good idea.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Oh -- make it as least 30" tall even 36" -- that is a quantum improvement and you won't be bashing your head getting inside the deck.
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

kencierp wrote:Well -- I must say I have never had that problem. We use nitrile gloves too. I keep the clamping rubber bands in a coffee can with a lid. I have clothes pins with rubber bands that are 15 years old (or more) -- my guess it's UV that is causing your problem - I just don't know? I have a bag here from Office Max (Boise) and another from Uline (Alliance). BTW rubber bands are certainly not my idea -- elastic materials have been in use as long as they have been around.
Yeah Ken, I know you didn't invent the use of rubber, poor choice of words on my part I guess, I just like the idea...I bought my bands at Office Max also yesterday, they are at least made in USA (I think that may be another factor) Now if I can find USA gloves that issue may go away too...thanks again!
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I was trying to remember where I first saw the procedure for using rubber bands to clamp the top and back -- it was the guy that literally wrote the book on classic guitar construction -- Sloane --- I bought my copy when it first came out in 1966. BTW I highly recommend it "Classic Guitar Construction" to all guitar makers.
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

I have used rubber bands but I still use clamps on the heel block and the end block. Mainly because I feel (not know) that the rubber band places most of its clamping power right on the edge where its bend breaks downwards. I am worried the the inside edge are not getting clamped.

Any other thoughts?
Last edited by johnnparchem on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

I've always used the rubber bands myself. I have the spools and hardware to make spool clamps, just haven't done it yet....always have the rubberbands ready.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
David L

Post by David L »

When using a gobar deck I like to use threaded rods, this allows my make adjustments for different glueing procedures (bracing top and back, closing the box, etc) and I can fine tune adjust for different guitar styles that may have different thicknessed bodies and also fine tune for desired pressure, I'm sure that there are other ways but this works for me.

David L