Spool clamps

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
deadedith

Re: Spool clamps

Post by deadedith »

Another plug for rubber bands - using them has forced me to be very patient and very craftsmanlike in fitting the top or bottom, to the point that it just lays perfectly on the rims, before gluing. That is a definite advantage.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Agreed. And at a buck fitty a bag, it is much cheaper to replace a broken clamp!

Post by   »

MuddyFox wrote:I don't think you'll be making a guitar deeper than 6" so I think you are pretty safe if you decide to go that route.

Again, give some thought to what Ken is saying. Consider rubber bands before you buy or build couple of dozen spool clamps.
Yep I do consider anything Ken says. My problem is when I visit his site and read what is, to me, in engineer speak I get left in the dust.
I'm the bulb on the christmas tree that is dimly flickering but never quite goes out all the way.

I just came into a bunch of bicycle inner tubes which would probably work really well for banding down a top or back to the sides.

I had a quick look at the Hobby Lobby wheels. If using them you need to be careful as to how you position. Wood grain of wheel must be perpendicular to the guitar and not parallel in order to eliminate possibility of splitting.

Regards,
tb
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Hey we found these "orphans" under a bench -- pretty basic, 2" pine donuts, 1/4 -20 bolt with a washer 6" opening -- the end grain should be soaked with thin CA to prevent splitting. There's 30 of them, $25 plus shipping if any one is interested PM me with an Email address and zip -- first come first serve.

kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Tommy B

This forum is all about explainations -- at times we all need different words, and or images to get a grasp of a certain concept. I am sure every one that participates at this forum is ready and willing to dot the "i"'s and cross the "T",s to make something more understandable. On the other hand while guitar making can be very "Artistic" be sure there is science and an understanding of the geometry, even if it is at the tactile level.

Post by   »

*CLARIFICATION*
If anyone needs further clarification, feel free to PM me.

tb
Last edited by   on Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Don't worry about it and Keep On Truckin' !!! :-)
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Lets get back on track -- I would really like to get rid of the spool clamps now that they are packaged and ready to go!!
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

The spool clamps have been sold
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

kencierp wrote:Just curious if you have investigated the alterntives to spool clamps -- the most simple and my favorite are rubber bands (2 or 3 #64 tied together). We have not had a spool clamp in our shop for twenty or more years -- in my view they (spool clamps) seem simple enough until you try and use two dozen or so at the same time. Even the most primative mold can be set-up for rubber band clamping. $.02
Ken, I really like your idea, my pet peeve is reaching in to a box of nitrite gloves or rubber bands and finding they are all rotten....where do do buy your rubber bands and how do you keep them half fresh?
Thanks, Ray