An inexpensive alternative thickness gauge.

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

An inexpensive alternative thickness gauge.

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I wanted to share my find with you guys. I bought these at Woodcraft for around $35. I used them yesterday for the first time when thicknessing sides for the guitar I started. They work great! You can set them for mm, decimal or inches.
I have a dial indicator and tried making my own gauge, but these work fine, and are plenty precise enough for what we are doing.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Re: An inexpensive alternative thickness gauge.

Post by deadedith »

Thanks Kevin, I wondered about those, though of course I'd prefer to spend over a hundred bucks for a Lee Valley set. Not. :-)
Kevin Sjostrand

You guys are killing me. Only one response to this fabulously informative, value saving post??
Come on guys, I figured you would be tripping over each other to get more information from me about how this thing works.
:>)

Kevin
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

It looks painful to me! Why not just use rubber gloves?
Tim Benware
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

So they outlaw those things in maternity wards and they show up in woodshops?
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
Kevin Sjostrand

Okay, make fun if you must, but I saved a whole lot money, works I'm sure just as good as the $150 unit the suppliers are selling.
I guess I will just have to smile to myself everytime I use it and treat myself to a Wendy's frosty with the money I saved.

Kevin
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Actually, it is an excellent tool and I thank you for posting it Kevin. I think I will pick one of these up to double check the thickness of boards I run through my drum sander. And then I too will buy a Frosty, or something else, with the money I saved.

Tony
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

Tony_in_NYC wrote:Actually, it is an excellent tool and I thank you for posting it Kevin. I think I will pick one of these up to double check the thickness of boards I run through my drum sander. And then I too will buy a Frosty, or something else, with the money I saved.

Tony
I agree, hope you know Kevin we were just joshing (whatever that means) you. I'm all for saving money on tools and jigs and that was a good find.
Tim Benware
Kevin Sjostrand

Of course of course.
I just used my $150 Ryobi drum sander and thicknessed the back of my present walnut OM build, and checked the thickness with my wonderful $32 digital outside calipers.....ah, life is good!

Kevin
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

I was able to purchase a Performax 16-32 off craigslist recently for $375. I was just ready to order a Grizzly 10-20 the new one, for the same price. Life is good with cheapy tools (good ones that is).

edit: dang typos
Tim Benware