Carter Bandsaw Guides

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
kencierp

Carter Bandsaw Guides

Post by kencierp »

I am a fairly patient guy so having to make adjustments on power tools etc. just goes with the territory. But I have to admit that it became a real PITA constantly fiddling with our 14" Grizzly "Ultimate" seems every time I needed to do a simple resaw I would "ultimately" get pissed off. My assumption was the darn thing is under-powered since I never try and resaw with a dull blade. So I've made plans to upgrade the motor. Then I started reading about the "Carter Bandsaw Guide" up grade kits. I went to their site and watched a two minute video -- the guy makes one resaw through what looks like some pretty wet Maple (10" or so)
easy enough -- but then he takes a mallet and whacks the fence way off track (he says less then 1/4") cuts another piece and it is exactly the same even cut as the first --- I was so impressed I order the conversion right then ($169.00).

So here's the deal -- it took me less then 20 minutes to install the "Carter Guide" --- AMAZING!!! I resawed four back/side sets of Walnut in under five minutes. Its like the Grizzly is an entirely different tool. Plus adjustments are far more simple then the bearing guide set-up that came with the saw.

It would seem this would be a good investment for anyone wanting to take their 14" saw (Delta, Jet etc.) to a professional level $.02
tippie53

Re: Carter Bandsaw Guides

Post by tippie53 »

guides make the saw Ken. I switched to ceramic guides a few years ago and havn't looked back.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

The Carter Guide is a unique design, fully capturing the blade with ball bearings and is nothing like "Cool Blocks" or Ceramic pinch block set ups -- its the way the Carter guide actally keeps the blade running true along the back edge that is the "magic."
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

What type guide did you have on it before and what model # Carter did you get?
Tim Benware
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

The Grizzly Ultimate comes with a bearing guide made up of the typical 608 skate board bearings -- the original bearings failed in a few days.

http://www.carterproducts.com/product.a ... &cat_id=13
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I find the ceramic outstanding for resawing. The band saw I am using for other work is a Walker Turner. They use a cool block but I will check out what you posted Ken. A good tool is an investment not a cost
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Thanks for posting this information. I noticed that they have a kit for my Rikon 14 so I will give it a try. I have been ok with the saw so far but have not resawed anything larger than 5-6 inchs. Basically headstock veneer and rosette wood. But having higher quality guides would be of value.
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Unecessary post
Last edited by Tarhead on Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

TH -- do you own the Laguna guide? What improvements did you get out of your saw? How long did they take to install? How much do they cost? What saws can they be used on?
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

I don’t think the other systems have the thrust bearing running in line with the blade like the Carter system --- according to the Carter video having the thrust bearing running perpendicular to the blade (the set up found in conventional guides) leads to all sorts of problems. Note I did replace a convensional ball bearing guide system which was standard on the G555