Clamps

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
tippie53

Re: Clamps

Post by tippie53 »

Ken
after 66 tours martin uses both cloths pins and paper clips. These are not the dollar store brand. Also some are reinforced with rubber bands for more grip. To be honest , 220 guitars a day and that amount they were used , its amazing. I
I do use spring clamps only because I have a few hundered of them. It matters not so much what you use as long as it does the job.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Yeah done a few myself -- they should charge you rent -- BTW I can get these clothes pins at the big box stores in MI -- now even made of Bamboo, the spring is strong and durable - I doubt one could ever break one.

tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

just think how many guitars they saw
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Nice vid Ken, thanks for that one!

One question, though.... where exactly is the glue? I cannot see any on the inside of the sides and she has the kerfing stuck between the pins at one point so it doesn't look to be on the kerfing either... No glue on the table...
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

They just drag the kerfing across a roller applicator -- if memory serves me its the metal box looking thing in the still picture above -- takes about three seconds. They pretty much use a yellow glue, the associates there gerenally think its Titebond.
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Oh ok, so it's on the kerfing only. Mental note to self... :)
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Since you are not likely to buy the gadget that applies the glue in three seconds or have an applicator that is as precise I would recommend thin application to both surfaces.
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Roger that!

Now, while on subject of clothespins, I was out hitting the stores today and whaddyaknow, no wooden pins to be found.
I found plenty of plastic ones with various spring mechanisms but they were all very flimsy. I guess I better stock up on rubber bands. :)
David L

Post by David L »

Dude, it must really suck living over there!!!

David L
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Sometimes it really does seem that way. :)
The problem is that this is such a small market for pretty much anything that it just doesn't pay off to have things in stock. And to import things on small scale makes even less business sense. Not to mention ridiculous import duties.

I'm sorry to have to say this, but thank Lord for Ebay and China. That's the only way to get stuff cheaply. Yes, most of the times you get crap goods (i.e. exactly what you pay for) but most of the times it is good enough to get the job done.

When something of quality becomes absolutely necessary, you spend the "big bucks" and get it elsewhere (Europe, States).

But other than that, I quite like living here. It's pretty much easy going, not much corporate pressure and plenty of laid back people.