Clamps

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
MuddyFox

Re: Clamps

Post by MuddyFox »

tippie53 wrote:I use these and do find them acceptable for guitar work .
http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsea ... =bar+clamp
I use the 12 inch and 6 inch ones
I usually don't like HF but these do the job
Sorry about resurrecting this thread but need to brag a bit... :)

I'm on vacation right now but me and missus went to the local hardware store to get some stuff for our holiday apartment and what do you know, 6 and 12 inch ratchet bar clamps heavily discounted and being cleared out.
I got two 6in for $10 each and two 12in for $15 each.
Around here, that's huge. Usually these go for at least $30 apiece, sometimes even up to $50.

Wooohooo!!! :)
David L

Post by David L »

Like I said, "it must really suck living over there"!!!

David L
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Yeah, well....

That bubble sure felt cosy for a few hours...
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

I've been to Slidell and Zagreb. I wouldn't be throwing any rocks indoors if I were you David L. ;')
David L

Post by David L »

I'll be the first one to say that Slidell ain't the keenest place to live! My double dis about living over there is only in reference to availability and price of tools. I didn't mean to disrespect anyone for thier geographic living choices, my apologies!

David L
DanC

Post by DanC »

If anyone is interested - the quick action clamp that John mentioned http://www.harborfreight.com/12-inch-ra ... 46807.html

is on sale during Aug for $1.99 with coupon code 38117172 - limit is 7
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

David L wrote:I'll be the first one to say that Slidell ain't the keenest place to live! My double dis about living over there is only in reference to availability and price of tools. I didn't mean to disrespect anyone for thier geographic living choices, my apologies!

David L
There wasn't much of a choice, mind you...
I did push for a move once (Australia, actually) but I was shot down.
Now that we have a little one, I'm staying put.

Having said that, I really have no objections to my home town, other than the fact that the salaries are nothing to write home about and that quality tools are way more expensive than they really ought to be. Other than that, it's a really nice place with lots to offer.
If any of you are ever in my neck of woods, feel free to give me a holla...
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Let me resurrect this thread with yet another clothespin-related question.
How about those little spring clamps (http://www.mehr-als-werkzeug.de/product ... Clamps.htm)? Any good for kerfing?
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

The operative dimension is the width of the clamp, the cord span of the clothes pin is less then 3/8" and that is why they work so well -- the wider the clamp the more the compression moves out to the edges of the clamped area -- which can allow the kerfing to rise in the center, off the rim -- not good.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

There is a difference in spring clamps for sure. I use a combination of spring and cloths pins. A small rubber band will also help with pressure as some cloths pins have lower pressure than others. I find the spring clamps work well in the areas when you need a bit more help.
Martin uses both cloths pins and spring clamps . you can see in this photo the sizes they use . Sometimes you need a little more umph than what you get from cloths pins.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com