Clamps

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Jim_H

Re: Clamps

Post by Jim_H »

Stewmac's trade secrets newsletter recently had an article on making modifications to optimize clothespins for clamping kerfed lining.

http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0127 ... &xsr=21380

It's a lot of work, but you only have to do it once, and it's still a lot cheaper than buying specialized clamps.
My poorly maintained "Blog"
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Thanks for that, Jim! I've already stumbled across that one while googling. Interesting, but kinda hard to pull off if you only have a jigsaw. Maybe if I could buy thin strips of wood someplace...

Ken, if the movable pads of a spring clamp have a pivot point that's all the way across (which they do otherwise they couldn't swivel), wouldn't it spread the pressure evenly across the entire width of the pads?
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

You can get short craft sticks (half-length Popsicle sticks).

Heck, for that matter, you could even cut regular ones in half lengthwise.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss? ... ks&x=0&y=0

I have several bags with varying sizes and widths. Use them all the time for different things. I think Walmart even carries them dirt cheap. Michaels would have a variety too if you have one in your area.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

Another thought...

Do you have a small razor saw? Hand tools are fun too! =)

Anyway, I dunno what part of the world you live in, but get em glued up and bring em to my place. You can run them through my bandsaw. =)
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Honesty just like Martin I use clothes pins with rubber bands, the exact same ones they sell at Walmart and most of the big box stores. -- Pack them on side by side. Has worked for me since 1966. Reverse round and triangular -- does one break occasional yes -- ten cents to replace! The key, to my way of thinking is that you very carefully check your progress with a mirror to make sure the kerfing is tight to the side, add a clamp if necessary --- that is the goal and what really matters.
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

The stew-mac article is about clothes pins. They are just suggesting some improvements, including re-inforcing the back (which is why I posted the link to the craft sticks).
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Its a good article Jim, thank you -- If I ever have to buy more clothes pins I'd spend a tad more and get the ones made Bamboo -- awesome, you'll not break those!
rgogo65

Post by rgogo65 »

I am definiately a clothes pins fan....one of the things that hasn't been mentioned, (Unless I missed it, if so my apologies) is that it isn't hard to "Starve" a joint for glue with an over tight clamp, and if you do, you may as well not have glued the thing in the first place.
The clothes pins seem to have about the right amount of pressure without starving the joint (Squeezing out too much glue)
The best ones I've found here in Colorado are from Lowes. They are well constructed and cheap :0)
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Do you use rubber bands on them?
Jim_H

Post by Jim_H »

I did, yes.

You can also roll short segments of latex tubing over them to add additional clamping force.