workbench

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
MuddyFox

workbench

Post by MuddyFox »

Hello!

Those of you that have followed my environment/workspace issues know that I'm pretty much between a rock and a hard place in pretty much all areas of instrument-building. With a child loose in the apartment, I've decided to do a sensible thing (no, not wait till it's off to college :) ) and try building in my basement cubicle.

Now, when I clear out most of the crap I keep down there, I'll be left with a space approximately 6x6 feet, with one concrete wall. Not much elbow room so I'm contemplating going this route

http://wellsguitars.com/Articles/Guitar ... tation.php

and eventually adding something like this to one of the sides

http://wellsguitars.com/Articles/Guitar_Holder.php

I would probably build it out of MDF or something similar, with some stone-ish flatt-ish surface (granite slate or similar, something I can find a scrap piece of).

I'd like to believe that this is doable. That a decent-enough instrument can be built in such a space. Otherwise, I'm stuck at least until the kid grows up and learns the meaning of "off-limits".

Whaddyaallthink?
rhagen

Re: workbench

Post by rhagen »

I wouldn't use stone or slate for the top, too hard and unforgiving.
David L

Post by David L »

I think you could build a guitar inside of a suitcase if you want to build one bad enough. Only "you" know your limitations. I think most everyone would like to have more "room" but we all seem to do just fine with what we have. One thing's for sure, guitar builders are a persistant bunch.

David L
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Alright then, MDF for the top as well? Or something even softer like cork?
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

rhagen wrote:I wouldn't use stone or slate for the top, too hard and unforgiving.
I have to respectfully disagree. I have a granite surface plate (24x36) that I cover with carpet scrap that I work off of. Take the carpet off and I adhere sandpaper for sanding parts (nuts, saddles, wood, chisels, etc.), join my backs and tops on it, all kinds of uses. Makes for a great multi-purpose work area and I've never once had any damage done to what I was working on. If you're cramp for space I think it's a great idea.

Tim B
Tim Benware
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

I would also have to respectfully disagree with rhagen. My work bench has an oak top, which I would not refer to as soft. Yes, it is softer than granite, but it still damages my guitars if I am not mindful of what I am doing. I generally keep my guitars on a towel, or those non-slip, drawer liner thingies. I would use them with any surface other than carpet simply to prevent any dings from happening to the guitar I am building at the time. Using the bench top to join plates or sand small parts would be great. Now I need to pull out my granite slab to do those things. Maybe the local granite counter top people have some scraps I could buy for cheap. CoachBob bought some granite for really cheap if I recall. It was scrap to the granite place, but useful to him. I have a 6"x24" piece he sent me and a 12"x12" tile I use for sharpening and sanding small stuff flat. Plus, the added weight would probably make my bench more stable....even if it is up high.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

A workbench is a tool not unlike a saw or chisel. I have a nice granite surface plate , tops of Maple , MDF and plywood. All are used for different things . I do like wood as I can screw things on it when I need to. You need something that will allow you to work on it .
I have seen some ingenious solutions for small tight spaces . Find what works for you
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

You might be able to us something like this. I made it a year or so ago and have used it every day since then with excellent results.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=726
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=725

Good luck whatever way you choose!
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Some excellent information here and plenty of food for thought. Tnx all! I'll post when I figure out how to make the most of what little space I have available.