PRO TECH BAND SAW MODEL 3203 able to handle build jobs?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Ben-Had

Re: PRO TECH BAND SAW MODEL 3203 able to handle build jobs?

Post by Ben-Had »

FWIW, I had a 9" band saw that was quite cutting it for me. I bit the bullet and bought a 14" Grizzly. Can't tell you what a difference it has made for me from making parts, jigs, cuts, etc. Just has made things so much easier for me.

Tim B
Tim Benware
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

There's an older Jet on the MKE Craigslist that will work fine. I would get some better blades. There's an older Delta listed a few weeks back. I would avoid it. The spine is too flexible on it in my opinion.

If you want a 10" saw Sears has this one on a sale: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... 921400000P
I've had mine for a few years and have used the snot out of it. You can find them real cheap on Craigslist because the drive belt tension loosens or gets dirty and starts slipping and people think the motor is fried. All it takes is a quick cleaning and adjustment and you're good for a few years. It's the exact same saw as the 10" Rikon that Woodcraft sells for ~$300. Big enough for neck work and resaws to 4 5/8" if you have a lot of time.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Just an opinion -- if one is to buy something "used" the idea is to save money while at the same time purchasing a well know, reputable, proven product. To save a few bucks on an off brand is asking for trouble --- especially if you need parts (and you will) -- $.02
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

Allow me to resurrect this topic....

What's the smallest bandsaw size one could get by to do all the sawing necessary to build a guitar (I'm talking solidbody electrics too)?

Powertools are ridiculously expensive over here, a 9" noname goes for cca $500, a 12" Dewalt for cca $1300. Now that's just too much for hobby use so how low can you go with operation being merely uncomfortable at times and not impossible?
Tarhead

Post by Tarhead »

Where are you from? Can you buy used? There's no reason to buy new unless you can't.

Size depends on whether you want to resaw your back and top pieces. If not, a 10 inch is adequate for shaping necks and various cutting. If so, a 14- 16 inch minimum with a 10-12 inch resaw height and stiff spine is required. Bigger and heavier is better. If it is Italian or made in the US in the 1930s-1950s grab it. I'm not a fan of 14 inch Bandsaw riser kits as they create too much flex on most Aisan built 14" saws. On older, heavier saws they're ok but create false expectations and bad cuts on the newer, cheaper Aisan built saws.

You could always make your own as big as you want:
http://woodgears.ca/bandsaw/build.html
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

I'm from a small country in Europe where there's no Craig's list and no local ebay. There's also no used tools market. At all. These sorts of tools people just don't buy and sell. They either get a small tabletop version for a lifelong hobby (instrument making, model ship making, that sort of things) or they go all out and but $xxxx to do carpentry/woodworking/furniture and such. Neither are ever available second-hand, they are used into the ground. And believe me I've looked. For many years.

Still, very good info and to the point. Much appreciated! I'll just stick to small stuff and do resawing elsewhere.