Router base for dremel

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Haggis

Router base for dremel

Post by Haggis »

Hello! I have a dremel tool that I´ll use to rout for binding. I don´t have a router base or jig for the dremel, but stewmac sells a router base and an edge guide. Before I place the order I´d like to know if there are other products available or if you guys have made your own tools that works.
thanks
Häggis
darren

Re: Router base for dremel

Post by darren »

I have the dremel/craftsman plunge-router base attachment, which i use for rosettes and soundholes. Made an edgeguide for it, but it was a bad idea and I'll never use it again. The general consensus is that the dremel is pretty underpowered for the binding ledges but there are those that get away with it.
Darren
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

You may get away with the unit but it is the bit selection that is critical. The small router bit tends to work the best with this . I used it early in my building and use a binding jig now. The dremel is underpowered so take your time and make lots of small cuts .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Herman

Post by Herman »

John is right and I am one of those who get away with it. Still using it for bindings, rosettes and inlay.
Take your time and good bits and it will work. But I have to admit it is a low cost amateur solution.

Herman
Haggis

Post by Haggis »

I´ll give it a try. I´m building my first guitar so I´m still an amateur:)
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

You need to take small nibbles. don't try and do it on one pass . You want to feel heat in the chips not on the work . Matching your feed rate to the cut rate will yield the best results . Take your time and be sure to use a set up block so you can double and triple check what is happening.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
moobox

Post by moobox »

Sorry to revive this but I am going to use the Dremel to begin with and would like to know if anyone has any experience or knowledge of the different router bases available. What I am aware of is the StewMac offering which seems pretty quality although the reviews vary and some guys curse the instability. Then Dremel themselves have a plunge router base which seems pretty acceptable from the pictures. And there is a Milescraft 1000 as well which from the pictures appears to be a bit more sturdy than the Dremel article.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I didn't like the plunge router base and threw that away . The dremel router base is about as stable as the stew mac , so in this case the price is better with the dremel and it did as good a job. the advantage to the stew mac is that it can mount to the rosette cutter.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc