Minimum compressor stats for finishing guitars

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
darren

Minimum compressor stats for finishing guitars

Post by darren »

I have a compressor but don't know if its suitable for spraying (it was a gift several years ago).

this is all I could find online for it: http://www.unifireusa.com/retail1/item. ... =4940-0906
5 Gal, 115 max psi, 4.3 scfm @ 40psi / 3.3 scfm @ 90psi.

Good enough? Not good enough? All I've ever used it for is airing up tires, and its been in storage for several years.
Darren
jstream

Re: Minimum compressor stats for finishing guitars

Post by jstream »

darren wrote:I have a compressor but don't know if its suitable for spraying (it was a gift several years ago).

this is all I could find online for it: http://www.unifireusa.com/retail1/item. ... =4940-0906
5 Gal, 115 max psi, 4.3 scfm @ 40psi / 3.3 scfm @ 90psi.

Good enough? Not good enough? All I've ever used it for is airing up tires, and its been in storage for several years.

That compressor looks to be just fine as long as you match the gun to it's output. The only numbers that really matter are the cfm numbers. 4.3 is kind of low for most air tools, but you can find some really good spray guns that will work with it. I just got this one http://www.spraygunworld.com/products/A ... 20Gun.html which only requires 3 cfm@40 and is considered one of the best available for low-power compressors. You wouldn't want to paint a car with it, but it will be just fine for smaller projects like guitars.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

You must match the requirements of the spray gun you plan to use with the specs of the compressor you plan to use. You also must have an oil trap and water trap on the main line and a water trap at the spray gun.
Last edited by kencierp on Wed May 11, 2011 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
darren

Post by darren »

Thanks for the replies - I haven't done any research on spraying equipment so laying out the basics is very helpful.
Darren
jstream

Post by jstream »

check out the site I linked above. If you have questions about what guns might work with your compressor, or features you aren't sure about, you can email them and they're pretty good about answering.
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

kencierp wrote:You must match the requirements of the spray gun you plan to use with the specs of the compressor you plan to use. You also must have an oil trap and water trap on the main line and a water trap at the spray gun.
Ken, I'm interested in what type you would suggest and approx cost. Thanks.

"You also must have an oil trap and water trap on the main line"

Tim B
Tim Benware
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

Like Ken said you need that water separator. With todays guns you can do alot with a little . I switched to a turbine so I don't have the water issue . My favorite finish gun is what the auto dealers call a detail gun Small and very controllable .
I will admit that I do farm out most of my finish work now . I just don't have the space.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

OK I had professional training (years ago) and it was drilled in that your equipment must be in tip/top shape and super clean. And that makes perfect sense -- in more recent years I have become more profient at surface prep and top coat leveling. The truth is, I now use rattle cans. Forget all that clean-up !! Time is money and as heard here before, "its not what or how you put it on its what you leave on that's important." So I really don't have any recommendation -- but a gravity feed HVLP detail gun will work nicely.
Guitar Hack

Post by Guitar Hack »

Do paint sprayers have to use air compressors? I have a dewalt airless paint sprayer I have been using. Is the air version better?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

while they say airless ,it still uses pressure to send out a spray pattern I switched to a turbine sprayer . They work great and do not usually have water issues and most HVLP guns will work with them .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com