speaking of bending

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
deadedith

speaking of bending

Post by deadedith »

I'd like to try building the Jones bender, but I have been unable to find plans. Most of the links that I've tried are no longer productive.
Does anyone out there have said plans, or a valid link to them?
Thanks
DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Re: speaking of bending

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

What is a Jones bender? I have never heard of it.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Scratch my previous post. Is this what you are looking for Dave?

http://www.lint.org/TechNotes/lowcostbender.html

A guy I know on another forum built one of these but claimed he had to use halogen flood lights to get the proper temp. I can find the thread at that other forum, but you need to be a member to read it. I happen to be a moderator over there because I am awesome. OK...I paid money, but I am still pretty decent if not awesome. OK...I suck. Damn. :o(
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

That's an interesting bit of reading, Tony!

I may be a bit slow at times, but I failed to locate the following information:
"The heater construction details and dimensions are available in the complete drawing pages 3 and 4."

How would I go about building one of these?
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Goran,
I thought you might have missed the link, so I went back and checked. They do appear to be missing! Here is a link to the LINT (Luthiers in North Texas) website. I did a little digging, but can not come up with the remaining pages of that article!
http://www.lint.org/index2.html

There are some very good tips and info on that site as well. Its worth bookmarking. Sorry the full article is not there, but you can probably find some simple wiring diagrams online for wiring three bulbs in a base. Shouldnt be too hard.
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

All side benders are dangerous and require timers and a watchful eye. That said and I know John Hall will dis- agree -- and that's OK different strokes for different folks. ALL of our KMG production benders use clear light bulbs for the heating element either two 300 watt or three 200 watt. That is PLENTY of heat, there is no reason for halogen which to me is a good way to burn yourself and burn your house down as far my experience shows.

If there is a trick to side bending, I'd submit that pre-bending the waist curve on a pipe is the magic. Check out Taylor factory Fridays -- most semi-production classical builders also pre-bend. While not as important with the "D" style, once into the tight waisted smaller bodies OM, "00" etc. I can assure you it will be worth the extra step which in fact saves much time in the long term.
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

@Tony: I was just asking for the sake of the completeness of information. Wiring the lightbulbs is indeed a non-issue and I was hoping that the diagrams on missing pages would reveal more useful info. For instance, whether the inside of the bouts (the wooden bits that surround the bulbs) perhaps had aluminum foil or something of the sorts glued to it (many lamps have it) and such tidbits...

@Ken: Again, great info from you! This LINT site seems to agree with you, they use both regular bulbs (albeit a lesser wattage) and a timer. Since my interests lie mostly in OM/OOO and smaller instruments, your pre-bending tip is stored for future reference. Thanks!
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

out of production -- just for thought starters

http://www.kennethmichaelguitars.com/spartanbender.html
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I'm also interested in boiling the wood - a time tested technique - you tube has some vids of the process - just have to figure out how to build the tray.
DaveB
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I also saw a couple of guys bending on a pipe - using light bulbs in the pipe as a heat source.
Any comments on that?
DaveB