In the Famous words of Maxwell Smart! "Would you believe?"

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

In the Famous words of Maxwell Smart! "Would you believe?"

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I called the guy that had the Ryobi 16" drum sander for sale at the beginning of the week this morning to see if he still had it, and he did. I offered him $150, and he took it, so I am now the proud owner of a thickness sander. It has not been used much, looks like he bought it around 1997. There are also two full rolls of what look to be 80 grit paper worth over $50 so I think I came out pretty good. I have to find a place on one of my bench tops for it.
I am pretty jazzed.....and it is a guitar makers perogative to change his mind, right? :>)
I'll post a picture when I get it mounted.

Kevin
Ken Hundley

Re: In the Famous words of Maxwell Smart! "Would you believe

Post by Ken Hundley »

Congrats! I tuned my own up getting ready to thickness a bunch of stuff! Nothing like a new tool to start playing with!
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
darren

Post by darren »

nice find Kevin!
Darren
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

awesome, so my call in to your wife totally paid off!

j/k...
Kevin Sjostrand

Martin,
You bet!!!!!! Some how she was all for it!!

Kevin
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:Martin,
You bet!!!!!! Some how she was all for it!!

Kevin
whew, excellent. if she ever starts resisting, explain to her about how when you use tools your eyes roll back in your head (figuratively) and you are immediately at one with the cosmos. now, she wouldn't want you to *NOT* be at one with the cosmos, would she? because that wouldn't be very nice.
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

As my dad used to say, "Even an old blind sow finds an acorn every once in a while.".

I checked CraigsList last night and a guy had just listed 2,000 - 2,500 BFT of lumber milled in the '30s.......walnut and cherry with a little catalpa, sycamore, and maple. Some of the maple and sycamore was a little spalted. I called the number and I he had just posted the ad and I was the first caller. I thought this must be my lucky day. A friend and I went to look at it at lunch today. Mostly it was old lumber he had inherited from his grandpa who had milled it from local lumber back in the '30s (there was some newer lumber mixed in). It was air dried and had pretty color on the pieces that had been planed enough to tell (most of it was still rough cut with heavy saw marks and coated in dust till you couldn't even identify the species). A lot of the cherry had splits. I never found a quartersawn board though there may have been some. It was all piled up (not stickered) in rental storage. He was originally asking $4,000 or best offer. Best we could tell there was about 1,500 BDF of lumber and we guessed half of it was usable. We would have paid $1,500 but the lowest he said he could take was $3,000. He wasn't very motivated to sell. The best thing was there were several burl/crotch walnut pieces that were beautifully figured. I may call back on Monday and see if he would consider selling a few boards......but I doubt he will. Either someone will buy all of it or he will just keep it. He was a cabinet maker for awhile and still does some work on the side but very little. Basically he said he loved wood working till he started doing it full time. His advise was not to go full time doing your favorite hobby as it becomes a job and you don't want to do it anymore. So far, I haven't been as lucky as Kevin on my CraigsList find.
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Stay away from that Tony.......likely spalted!!!
Slacker......
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Can't believe it, just checked the local Craig'sList and a Ryobi drum thickness sander is for sale for $100! I already have a 16/32 Performax but thought it was an odd coincidence since Kevin just found one.
Slacker......
Kevin Sjostrand

Ooooweeeee oowweeeeeee ooowweeeeeee...........Twilight Zone! Those things are EVERYWHERE.
I say buy it if it is in decent shape.

Kevin