Ryobi 16" Drum Sander for $200 in my town

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Ryobi 16" Drum Sander for $200 in my town

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I found this sander on Craigs list today in my town, picture makes it look pretty good, on a stand, called the guy, he still has it, old guy shutting down his wood working shop, I can pick it up, only about 5 miles from where I live. Just missed a band saw for $150, still has a spindle sander, shaper, etc.
What should I do??????

Kevin
Tony_in_NYC

Re: Ryobi 16" Drum Sander for $200 in my town

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Buy everything! You can always resell it if you don't need it, but you will be hard pressed to find the tools cheap again!
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

FYI Kevin, I recently had a similar opportunity and for some reason, I listened to my wife and did not buy everything that I could have. I simply bought what I felt I really needed. In hind site, I could have made use of a spindle sander the guy was parting with, and even if I couldnt, I am not in a rush to sell and he was, so his price was cheap. Still kicking myself. He also had a bunch of cam clamps and other guitar related stuff. I am a fool.
Did you buy anything?
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ya know, I yielded to my sensible side, and I am going to pass this opportunity up (kicking myself at that same time).
I really don't have room for anymore tools in my small shop, as much as I would love to have the sander at that price. I even looked at my bench tops to see if I could mount it there..it is just too cramped. I'm still trying to figure out where I would put a big bandsaw.
I also have to think from a practical stand point. I am building around one guitar a year. I don't see myself going any faster than that.........my wife will leave me if I do any more, so, doing the final thicknessing my hand is not a really big deal, and I just bought a safety planer for the drill press that will help me in that area anyway.
So, as much as I wanted to rush over to this guys shop and buy buy buy, I am holding back.
I know.......you all can kick me too.

Kevin
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

sometimes it's really hard to know what the right thing to do is.

so, tell you what, give me your wife's number and I'll call her and talk her into having you build more guitars. they'll go much faster if you get these tools. 8^)