Kevin Sjostrand

Re: 14" Taiwanese band saw $279 new

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Great find Dave. That is a good saw.

Kevin
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I was hoping the seller had a thickness sander off in a corner, but no such luck :-)
DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

How thick of a hunk of wood can you resaw with the 12 incher?
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I'm not planning on doing any resawing, ergo, beats me
DaveB
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

OTOH, a cursory web search turned up many comments on this machine along these lines:

"UPDATE: After two years of use, this band saw has required no repairs or adjustments other than when changing blades. I have resawed four-inch-wide oak with virtually no blade wander (using a 1/2-inch 4tpi blade) and have used it as a scroll saw with a 1/8-inch blade. This machine continues to be a very handy addition to the shop with more and more uses being discovered all the time."

So that's a possibility.

DaveB
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Who is Ergo and why does be beat you? Mire importantly, you neglected to answer my question. Like, umm..are you avoiding my query?
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

I removed this post not because it was objectionable, but because it was unintelligible. Purposefully unintelligible - pure foolishness, a lark, a jest. But too far out. No big deal.
DaveB
Last edited by deadedith on Mon May 09, 2011 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
David L

Post by David L »

Huh?

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I believe the Craftsman 12" will cut up to a 6" height. I don't know if there are riser blocks available for this saw.
I have my eye on a 14" Powermatic with a riser block.......a cool $1000......yikes.

Kevin
johnnparchem

Post by johnnparchem »

Kevin Sjostrand wrote:I believe the Craftsman 12" will cut up to a 6" height. I don't know if there are riser blocks available for this saw.
I have my eye on a 14" Powermatic with a riser block.......a cool $1000......yikes.

Kevin
When I went looking I ended up with a Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw, simularly configured it was about $200 less than the powermatic at the time. I have been really happy with the saw. When looking at our local Woodcraft store, I ended up with the head of the woodshop from a Seattle community college, an experienced wood indutry guy and a Woodcraft regional manager. They went over all of the 14 inch bandsaws and ultimatly decided to purchase a few of the Rikons for the college. It was a great experiance as they let me tag along for more than an hour going over all of the features, the designs and construction.

For me the deciding feature was that it is designed around a 13 inch resaw, no need for the riser block and associated parts kit.