Spool clamps

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Tony_in_NYC

Re: Spool clamps

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Sometimes the simplest thing is the best solution. I would have never considered hobby wheels. They are almost perfect for the job. No square edges to mark up your top or back, round so the clamp can roll off of the bench (Damn you long dead, prankster luthiers!) and they have a perfectly centered hole! Not that perfectly centered is the most important thing, but it certainly can not hurt. Cool idea JRHall.
I dont use spool clamps. I have used rubber bands and Ken Cierp's top and back clamping caul system. I am partial to the caul method, but that might just be the case because that is what I learned first so I am most comfortable with it. Maybe Papachulo can weigh in to tell me why I am wrong.
Anyway, I test the fit of my tops and backs using rubber bands to make sure I have a pretty close, tight fit before I use the caul, so I know my mating surfaces are very good and the joint will be tight.
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

JRHall wrote:Go to "Hobby Lobby" and look for wooden toy wheels. They are about 2" in diameter and have a 1/4" hole for an axle. Add some 1/4-20 bolts and wing nuts of the appropriate length from Lowe's and you have cheap quick spool clamps without a lot of trouble.
I'd love to (and splendid idea, I might add), but as I've stated on several occasions, I'm located quite a bit away from the States and I am pretty sure there are no toy wheels to be bought around here. All our toys sadly come directly from Mao country.
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

kencierp wrote:To me spool clamps are the the second least desirable way to glue on the top and back -- Go-bar deck being the most problematic. Take a look at the KMG web site and you'll find many alternatives including the simple and my favorite, use of common #64 rubber bands. Also take a look at the KMG Masterworks mold which is a "souped up" version of the the mold used by Jonathan Kinkead --- his book is a good investment for those just starting out.
Ken, over here rubber bands come in one size only... too small.
But I'm sure there are these #64 to be had online and I'm also looking into that bike inner tube variation. I know I have plenty of those. :)

Your masterwork mold (along with other tools) is indeed interesting but we've already considered that option if you remember (I still wouldn't call it a lost cause, though... remains to be seen).
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Muddy,
It seems to me that a lot of your problems would be solved if you moved out of Croatia and came over here to the USA. Just a thought, though I am sure the move would come with its own list of issues.
I will volunteer to mail you a couple of bags of #64 rubberbands to further your lutherie endeavors. Just say the word.
You are on your own with the mold!

Tony
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Tony ......wait.......I am now channeling papachulo......
"Why would you want a coat of vinyl on your cauls from the toy wheels run by rubber bands? I'm going to a forum where there are real professionals who don't use vinyl and who don't try to answer my stupid questions with reasonable answers. Heehee...."

Ok, I'm back...this is Dave.....I hope that never happens again...

DaveB
darren

Post by darren »

free shipping from spain to anywhere in the EU. These will do the job but are not cheap -http://www.madinter.com/b2c/index.php?p ... ref=HTLCTA
Darren
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Goran, Yes I have a pretty good memory -- you may have missed the point -- I was not trying to sell you anything -- look at the tool designs at KMG web site and buy the Kinkead book. You'll get a different and in my view a better perspective on some the more modern building techiques.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

deadedith wrote:Tony ......wait.......I am now channeling papachulo......
"Why would you want a coat of vinyl on your cauls from the toy wheels run by rubber bands? I'm going to a forum where there are real professionals who don't use vinyl and who don't try to answer my stupid questions with reasonable answers. Heehee...."

Ok, I'm back...this is Dave.....I hope that never happens again...

DaveB

BAAHAHAHAHAH!!!!
I am going to make vinyl spool clamps and then NOT use them! Thanks for the laugh!
MuddyFox

Post by MuddyFox »

@Tony: Well, the thought has crossed my mind but the move at this point would create more problems than solutions. Never say never, though... Thanks for the offer anyways, I just might take you up on that.

@Darren: I've come across that site and if it comes to it, I can order some tools from them. Croatia is still not in EU (will be soon) so there's some shipping cost involved but it's not through the roof. Clamps, I'd rather make myself than order. Saws and tools, may have no other option.

@Ken: Your point was well taken, I assure you. I'm waaay past the point of people being able to push their products on me if I don't like them. I keep mentioning your tools because I think of them as being worthy of my attention. So, if I can find a way to get them over here that's cost effective, I'll buy them. Whether you were trying to sell them to me or not doesn't even come into the equation (and I wouldn't think lesser of you even if you did, we all need to make a living). I have yet to carve my lutherie path and I'm willing to explore any and all roads.
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

Goran,

You might want to consider one of these as a first project:

The full website can be found here:
http://www.guitarflame.com/2008/cigar-b ... -me-today/

Interesting stuff and you can avoid some heavy import duties since you can probably make or procure all of the parts locally!