Shoe off your shops

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Ken Hundley

Re: Shoe off your shops

Post by Ken Hundley »

Here is my garage a couple of years ago...most tools are in a big red toolbox I got, and to the right of the bench is a somewhat restored potbelly stove (close-up below) that does a far better job keeping the garage warm than anything I have used in the past.
P9160020.JPG
Ripped that heavy bag literally in half with a good round-house kick a year ago. Now I have a decent "Ringside" all leather bag that is much better. The bag is suspended from the ceiling using some pulleys, lets me get it up and out of the way to either pull some benches/saws/planers/sanders out into the center and use them, or allows me to get two cars in the garage at night, though that will change when I start my boat.

Here's the heater:
20101130205511.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

The punching bag may come in handy I just hit my head off something hard when I get frustrated .
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
David L

Post by David L »

Can somebody give me a little help?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaaaaa!
I love it!
David, great.
John,
I make knives, that is my heat treating furnace. I have to share space with the other half of me, the knifemaker. :>)

Kevin
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Ken,
I like the pot belly....a great way to rid yourself of the mistakes from the shop.

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I love the shoe
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Ken Hundley

Post by Ken Hundley »

HA haha....John, I keep hittin my head on the bag when I walk under it. Just high enough to be out of my field of vision. It's almost worse than crackin it on something hard! Its soft enough not to hurt you, but has enough mass that your head gets sorta shoved down your spine cause the rest of your body keeps goin! Yeah, and the stove eats mistakes quick! If I keep the fire hot int he beginning then low and smoldering, it will get the garage into the 60s when its 15-20 F outside. Takes about an hour or so to get there, but quite comfortable after that. I'll take a picture one of these days of the garage now....not too different. Less tools out and more junk as the kids are getting older.
Ken Hundley
Nocturnal Guitars
http://www.nocturnalguitars.com

So, my big brother was playing guitar and I figured I'd try it too.
- Stevie Ray Vaughan
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

Here's a couple pictures of my shop. It's in our semi-finished basement. Plenty of room, and I just put in some new fluorescent lights after suffering too long with 3 puny recessed lights.

Rick
David L

Post by David L »

You couldn't have possibly built a guitar down there, it's too clean. I like those luthier saws hanging on the wall next to the sliding glass door (haha).

David L
rhagen

Post by rhagen »

Well, I just cleaned it - it doesn't alway look like that!

Rick