PC Trim Router on sale at Amazon

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

PC Trim Router on sale at Amazon

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Right now Amazon has the Porter Cable 7310 trim router on sale for $59.99 with free shipping (and no tax, at least for me in California). I just got one.
They had them for this price about 3 weeks ago for a few days, and then the sale went off. It is back on now; I purchased mine on Monday, and bought another today. Get em while they are hot!!!

Kevin
kencierp

Re: PC Trim Router on sale at Amazon

Post by kencierp »

Very good price -- we have many Porter Cable routers in our shop 1 1/2 HP to 3 1/4 HP --- However, I was very disappointed in the adjusting arrangement found on this model -- kinda clumsy and inaccurate -- in fact we returned them to the supplier in favor of a Baush Colt and actually at that time bought a Roybi too. Kevin no offense intended this is just my too cents and actual experience, check out the reviews and you'll find I am not alone in my opinion.
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

No offense taken Ken.
I am an inexperienced trim router user. So far I've only used the HF model. I actually like the way it adjusts.
I have this PC router in hand, and I think the thumb wheel adjustment works pretty slick, and once the lock wheel is screwed down tight, the base has no play or wiggle in it.
I imagine one unit can be worse than another, like most things. Hopefully these will workout well for me.
I did read some reviews about the base not stable or square to the router. I don't see this problem with the one I just got.

Kevin
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I do use the 7310 and also the bosch colt. I do like the colt. I find the ryobi of mediocre quality. I would rate the colt the better of the 3
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

What is a trim router used for in our creative endeavor?
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I use them for cutting the binding channes
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Interesting

http://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2009/02/to ... 0-and-more

Take note of the new Harbor Freight model
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Yeah, and that link to 'Harbor Freight Gems' was pretty interesting also.
DaveB
David L

Post by David L »

I got the Bosch Colt and mated it to the KMG IA binding channel attachment. I've practiced with it a little, seems like a solid machine.

David L
Tony_in_NYC

Post by Tony_in_NYC »

That link had a lot of words. I gather it had some info about laminate trimmers?

I got a Ryobi laminate trimmer. The depth adjustment is the pits, but if I take my time, I can get it adjusted just fine. I wish I would have looked around a bit more before I bought this one, but it was on sale and it definitely gets the job done.