deadedith

Re: PC Trim Router on sale at Amazon

Post by deadedith »

Well Tony, oxidants can happen..
DaveB
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Reviews can be helpful, but they can also not tell you much. You get one wonderful critque and then the next guy can't stand the thing.....such is life.
As with the HF trimmer....guys have had them throw bits, but then I haven't experienced it yet in 4 guitars. So far so good.
However, they will be retired to "back up" status if this PC trimmer works out well.

Kevin
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

Yeah -- that's why I thought the whole article was interesting -- much of it was "pre-judgemental" favoritism. I am with you. We've used Harbor Freight for selective operations with Zero problems, but as I noted before you must put a washer between the base and the height locking knob. I was looking at our router supply, I have twenty something and I'd say we have given equal opputunity to most brands -- Matkita, Ryobi, Craftman, Baush, a couple of Harbor Freights -- but the ones that run hours each day (six hour continous) are our 3-1/4 HP Porter Cables (4 of those). In comparison for cutting 128" of binding and purfling channels a few times a year I'd say just about any trim router will get the job done.
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

I just want to add one thing , The harbor freight routers I had one that threw a bit . I agree that binding can be done with about any reliable router. I do have 2 PC 7310s just for binding. recently I got a bosch colt and do like it. It took a bit of modification to mount but I like the adjustments on it. tools should be treated as investments , a good tool does the job well. Cheap tools may , but you soon forget price if it works , but you remember the price when they don't.
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com