FB taper?

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
David L

FB taper?

Post by David L »

I want to start building my own FB's. I'm not quite sure how to cut the taper. Does anyone have a process/jig/fixture that I can make or know where to buy one?

David L
darren

Re: FB taper?

Post by darren »

clamp it on its side in something and hit it with a jack/block plane. repeat for other side.
Darren
Ben-Had

Post by Ben-Had »

David L wrote:I want to start building my own FB's. I'm not quite sure how to cut the taper. Does anyone have a process/jig/fixture that I can make or know where to buy one?

David L
This shows one way and I'm sure there are others, maybe better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y42kRZ1wz8

Tim B
Tim Benware
darren

Post by darren »

Ben-Had wrote: This shows one way and I'm sure there are others, maybe better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Y42kRZ1wz8

Tim B

that guy cracks me up - I watched his entire build while waiting for my first 'kit' to arrive in the mail, several years ago now.
Darren
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

it's just 2 pieces of plywood. and underneath, there is a strip that fits exactly into the miter slot on my table saw.

David L

Post by David L »

Thanks guys, so many good suggestions, not sure which way to go, more than one way to skin a cat, (who skins cats?).

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

David,
I now have made a template I can draw around, but at first just used a ruler and drew lines on the blank, cut just outside those lines with a bandsaw, then hand planed down to my line. This way there is very little to remove with the plane.
It is actually kind of fun. Many ways to do it, fancy angle cutting jigs for tablesaws, etc., but this simple way can give you the results you need.

Kevin
David L

Post by David L »

I've also been looking at that miter box/saw/template for FB at Stewmac, it's on my to do list.

David L
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

David,
If you want to hand saw your fret slots, check out a past post of mine on what I am using. I got an inexpensive plastic mitre box, and good saw, and a template from LMI. Total cost way less then the set up you are looking at. Do a search and it should come up.
It may give you an idea for what you could do for yourself.

Kevin
Ken C

Post by Ken C »

David,

This is what I use (from Rocker's website):

I have had mine for years, long before I ever starting building guitars. I simply draw lines on my f/b where I want to cut, run one edge of the f/b over my jointer to give me a good straight edge, put the straight edge of the f/b against the taper jig similar to the picture shown above, then set the taper jig such the distance from the fence to my line I want to cut is the same all the way down the fence. Once the taper jig is close, I'll set the fence so I cut a bit less than I need, run the f/b through the saw and check that my cut is parallel to my drawn line. If it isn't, I'll tweak the taper. If the line is parallel, I set the fence so my saw cuts along the long the line and run it through the saw. I then repeat for the other side. Takes about 10 to 15 minutes, and is adjustable to any taper.

Ken