Bridge sanding jig for the wings

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
Kevin Sjostrand

Bridge sanding jig for the wings

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

I certainly didn't think up with this jig. I saw it somewhere on the internet and came up with my own rendition from scrap wood, some cheap hinges, and a long carriage bolt and nuts.
With the sander clamped down, the jig clamped down pushed up against the base of the sander, and squared to the sander end roller, you simply feed the end of the bridge under the roller and adjust the table up until you have the desired thickness sanded into the wings. I have a stop positioned so the bridge can only be fed in up against it. I started with a full blank, but to save on the sanding belt, it might be wise to cut some of the stock off first.
It did a great job, the thickness of the wings (1/8") is consistent on both sides, and the top edge of the scallop is equidistant on both sides to where the saddle slot will end. Took me a couple of hours to make it, and although not super precision, it will yield much better results than "eye-balling it". I'm happy, and wanted to share it with you all.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kevin Sjostrand

Re: Bridge sanding jig for the wings

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

And 3 more pictures. The bottom pic shows the bloodwood bridge I made for the current guitar, sanding the wings free-hand.
The bottom bridge is the ebony bridge I sanded on the jig today.

Kevin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Thanks Kevin! I'm just starting to design a bridge and was wondering how to do the wings! Great timing..

DaveB
David L

Post by David L »

Nice rig!

David L
kencierp

Post by kencierp »

This is our production set-up, the drum can be changed to create a different radius. It has stops for depth and length. Just food for thought -- the same set-up could be made for a drill press, just upside down. Notice the dust collection port.

deadedith

Post by deadedith »

Nice - I do have a drill press and this would work well.
DaveB
Darryl Young

Post by Darryl Young »

Looks great Kevin. I mad something similar for rounding the edges of the bracing on my top and back (did this after gluing the bracing to the soundboard/back). I plan to use it for bridges as well. A stop would be a nice addition to what I currently have.
Slacker......
enalnitram

Post by enalnitram »

Darryl Young wrote:Looks great Kevin. I mad something similar for rounding the edges of the bracing on my top and back (did this after gluing the bracing to the soundboard/back). I plan to use it for bridges as well. A stop would be a nice addition to what I currently have.
On my #3 I did the ends of my bracing with the belt sander but the curves were too steep. I just got done making a big wooden disc out of a 2"x10" that I power with a spare motor and a belt. the disc has 60 grit on it. it works great, and puts long, gradual curves on the ends of my bracing.