www.KitGuitarsForum.com

Learn to Kit Build a Guitar. Learn to Scratch Build a Guitar. Learn EVERYTHING Guitars Here!
It is currently Thu May 23, 2019 7:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 9:40 am 
So I was at the store a couple of months ago and I found a large round-under router bit that was on sale. It was something like $15 for a $140 bit. I've bought things I knew I didn't need that were lesser deals than that, so I bought it.

I don't remember the size now, but the profile looks like it would make a pretty close match to my necks. I like carving necks. It might be my favorite part of guitar building, but if I were to sell some, I figure having a more consistent reproducible profile would be important

On my last few necks, I got it out, set it up, got scared and reached for the spokeshave.

Anyone have thoughts on just how dangerous an idea this is?

THanks
Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:51 am 
Nothing dangerous about it if you use heavy duty holding fixtures and take reasonable cuts at each pass --- note that the neck is a very complex shape. Our operations (KMG) encompass five different CNC stations. Here's the Taylor neck operation. http://www.taylorguitars.com/video/factory-fridays/default.aspx?edition=1&title=1%3a+Roto-shaper

The positioning, feed angles etc., are as much a part of the process as the shape of the cutters (actually more) -- power machining a neck is a pretty ambitious endeavor -- it will be intereseting to see what you come up with --

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:37 am 

Those Factory Friday videos are sure fun to watch.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:05 pm 
I hadn't considered machining the whole neck. I was just thinking about getting the profile of the neck shaft done quickly and consistently. I figured I'd still be doing the heel and the headstock joint by hand. I think I better go downstairs and stare at some necks for a while.

Thanks for the feedback.

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:51 pm 

Martin used shapers for the neck shaping for many years .

Board of Directors of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:31 pm 
I don't have a shaper. Any advice on a safe speed for a big bit?

Mike

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:10 pm 
Seems you may have answered your own question - yes its dangerous to use a large diameter bit in a hand held router. Check your owners manual for the limitations of your power tools, don't attempt anything that is not recommended or approved you could loose a body part!! The manufacturer of the power tool knows far more about it then us guys at a forum. $.02

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 2:48 pm 

Ken has valid point here. When it comes to safety NEVER TAKE FOR GRANTED SAFETY ISSUES. I have seen some ridiculous jigs and fixtures on you tube and other places on the web that can cause serious physical harm. A shaper or good router table is the the tool you want to use to rough out a neck not a hand held router .
You also need good fixturing and holding set ups . These are your fingers and hands . I cannot stress this enough . SAFETY is a one shot deal , there is no do overs or mulligans . There is nothing worth putting your fingers on the floor.

Board of Directors of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com