At the risk of being laughed out of the forum...

Storebought or Homemade: Tell Us!
rcnewcomb

Re: At the risk of being laughed out of the forum...

Post by rcnewcomb »

The Vectric software is pretty good. I've got their Cut2D Desktop
In Cut2D go to Help/About. Scroll through the list of people and look for my name: Randall Newcomb

I've been using Vectric software since November of 2005.
- Randall Newcomb
10 fingers in, 10 fingers out - another good day in the shop
Kevin Sjostrand

Post by Kevin Sjostrand »

Diane I got that machine a year ago and use it primarily to mark my duck calls, but I did use it to route the cavity for my "Sjostrand" headstock inlay on the current build. Took some trial and error but It worked out pretty well
Check out F Engrave software. Its free and you can do your lettering g codes very easily and quickly, all in one program, straight to the CNC.
Kevin Sjostrand

Also if you got the laser head with it, you can use a free program called GRBL that simplifies the programing and a laser burn on your neck blocks would look awesome!
tippie53

Post by tippie53 »

there are other options out there and beware of the EBAY stuff. The $45 aspire is counter fit and won't work. There are some free 3 d options I have not tried them.
I do like the V carve but agree the aspire is way over priced
John Hall
Blues Creek Guitars Inc
Authorized CF Martin Repair Center
president of Association of Stringed Instrument Artisans
http://www.bluescreekguitars.com
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

I'm using Fusion 360 Hobby, and I bought Meshcam Pro. I'm still struggling through the software programming. I've finally figured out the z probe, and have it working and programmed right.

I bought a full CAD program called BeckerCAD. It was developed by a German software engineer, so the documentation and support is limited. It is a full professional CAD program. It sells on Amazon for $100. You can download it for $20. I took a shot in the dark for $20. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm going to check out the software that Kevin mentioned for engraving.

I had a problem with the Sainsmart machine. It started sticking on the y-axis. I think the threaded rod was out of round. I sent it back to Amazon. They sell several 3018-pro on Amazon that are identical to the Sainsmart. I bought another for $55 less. I used the savings to buy the upgrade Sainsmart ball bearing 20,000 rpm spindle. The Machine runs smoothly.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
countryroadsguitars@gmail.com
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

I can't wait to see what king of jobs you can do with it. I'm sure I'll be getting something similar in the future. I'm thinking inlay pockets on peghead overlays. Possibly cutting the pearl with it?
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

banjopicks wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:45 pm I can't wait to see what king of jobs you can do with it. I'm sure I'll be getting something similar in the future. I'm thinking inlay pockets on peghead overlays. Possibly cutting the pearl with it?
This is precisely why I bought this little machine and it works great. However, I'm having problems with the controller. There is a static buildup in our house, because the humidity dropped so low. For the time being, I have it on a table in the living room, while I learn the software. I've been unplugging everything from the cnc and computer daily. As I plugged in the z-probe to the board, my hand shocked it. I could see the arc, not a good thing to do to any motherboard. It's been acting up since then. I'm sure it's the board, so I've actually ordered the board that they use on their better model, the 3018-PROver. I will still run grbl on it, but it's capable of running Mach, a different interface program. I'll be expanding the bed so that it'll be long enough to inlay a fretboard.

Here are pictures of what I was able to do prior to the mishap. I have a grounding doodad from 20 years ago, when I used to build computers, so I'll ground myself before plugging or unplugging anything again from here on out. When I get it back in the shop, I'll keep it grounded.

You can see different materials, wood, ablam shell, and epoxy. It cut pockets great in the wood and initials out of the shell and epoxy resin. Obviously I needed to adjust my depth of cut a bit, but it was a first try.

I'm going to add a dust shoe too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
banjopicks

Post by banjopicks »

Thanks for the update. It's definitely looking promising.

What's the white junk around the cutter in photo 2?

How can you extend the bed, aren't you limited by the travel limits?
Diane Kauffmds

Post by Diane Kauffmds »

After my controller arced, it started doing bizarre things. Reloading the driver, and software didn't help, so I replaced it with the controller that Sainsmart uses for their 3018-PROver, a much better unit. I've also installed limit switches, which I've had sitting around for a while.

I'm happy to report that it's up and running. I've finally cut pockets in a scrap piece of wood for my headstock logo. I've used a 1/16" and a 1/32" bits.

I've not cleaned up anything. This was just a trial run to test the new control board.
20211116_100224.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Diane Kauffmann
Country Roads Guitars
Kevin Sjostrand

Diane it sounds like you had your share of issues getting going with your machine
I'm glad it is finally working for you.
Once I'm retired end of the year I am hoping to do more with my machine, play around with the fretboard inlays for sure. I had not thought about marking the heel block...excellent idea, especially using the laser.
On this cut for your logo, are you using a V bit, or a straight milling bit?
The V bits will give a little better/cleaner edge. But cutting in soft wood you get some of that just about no matter what.
I got that Fusion 360 Hobby (free) but have not ventured into it yet. They are no longer offering it so I wasn't sure if the downloaded version would still work??